Recoovery from failed firmware update

Many electronic devices these days need firmware updates.

In general if a firmware update fails and you end up with a brick can the situation normally be recovered by the manufacturer (or agent) applying a direct connection to the motherboard (or by any other means)?

Reply to
Michael Chare

What device are you talking about? Various approaches are available.

Reply to
ericp

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends if the boot loader is corrupted, or if the board has an accessible JTAG port and the whoever has the gear to reflash through the JTAG port, or if the flash devices are socketed.

Reply to
dom

In article , Michael Chare scribeth thus

Yes sometimes. What is it you've had go wrong?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Usually they will be designed to do this (because ****ing this up in development is a common failure).

Whether it can be done without destroying the packaging, is another matter

tim

Reply to
tim....

Fortunately nothing yet. Sadly, I don't have the firmware for the particular device that I would like to update. I was just wondering how easily the manufacturer would be able to correct the problem should an update fail.

Reply to
Michael Chare

There is usually some way of recovering the situation, but whether it is economically viable is a different matter. The manufacturer may charge a lot for the service. The only way to find that out is to contact the manufacturer in advance.

Reply to
Bernard Peek