update to that 'failed MOT test'

Mechanical failure is way down on the cause of number of accidents. We're a bit paranoid about it over here.

NT

Reply to
NT

Same here. We don't even *have* any kind of periodic vehicle testing here, and the winters are harsh and the road salt really takes its toll on vehicles, but mechanical issues just aren't a major contributor.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

In message , NT writes

It used to be back in the 60s,that's why the Mot was introduced in the first place. Is the absence of accidents caused by mechanical failures a sign of its success? Discuss.

Reply to
hugh

----- --------------------------------------------------

----- -------------------------------------------------

I had an elderly Standard in those days and the MOT was in its infancy, but was still a trial for old cars. I remember getting well twigged by a friend when I announced to a stranger we met on some climbing trip that "Yes, I've passed my MOT". Now at 70, that is definitely a more personal test and the statement may be a little more correct !!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I don't think the MOT has been a serious driver of better road safety.

But better cards for sure have.

The real purpose of it before it became qa way for garages to make money, was to get some seriously dangerous vehicles off the road.

And then to get seriously polluting ones off as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My neighbour is a recently retired MOT tester. He would agree that VOSA rules are open to interpretation. Although retired, and business sold, he has kept all of his 'old-fogy' clients with their 20-year old bangers (that do less than 1000 miles a year). The place he uses in Bognor sometimes passes what he would fail and vice-versa. A real sticky point is the definition of corrosion within XXX inches of a suspension or seat belt mounting point, and more to the point how effective the repair is. Corroded brake pipes is another. Some places wont allow any rust, others might give a brush over with a wire brush and look for severe pitting.

4WD's that are plastered with shit are the MOT testers nightmare.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

My neighbour (ex MOT tester) 'failed' my astra because the orange indicator repeater bulbs had faded. he just replaced them as part of the service.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

They can just fail them if the vehicle is "untestable".

Reply to
dennis