Filling a chase

I'm about to start cutting some cable chases in a wall that's going to be painted, but when I last did this (a long time ago) I never managed to fill the chase so it disappeared completely. This house is all lime plaster and I don't know whether that makes it easier or harder to get "perfect" filling. How do you do it? Bonding+finish, sand/cement+filler, ... ?

Reply to
bin

What I've found works well is to fill it roughly (using the One Strike filler mentioned in the ceiling thread) and then after that's dried I "pack" it in with finger pressure, and re-fill the shallow dip with screwfix plaster filler (in a frame gun cartridge) which I find gives a very fine/hard/crisp finish.

Dunno whether the plaster filler would blend in, or stick out, from a lime finish ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I never permit a single grain of sand to remain above the wall surface. Ove rfill & sand is a guaranteed fail imho, though it seems to be popular. Do t hat and you can't help but end up with a flat result, after a number of goe s that reduces as skill increases. If you want to match lime, use lime for the final layer.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

After you have chased the wall paint it with watered down PVA and let it dry. Before filling paint it gain. This will help stop the existing plaster sucking the moisture from the new plaster and help prevent cracking.

Reply to
alan_m