self-leveling laser level recommendations?

I am seeking recommendations for a self-leveling laser level. Although, for my needs, one that throws out four or five lines with an accuracy of plus or minus 1/4" at 100 ft. (prefer 1/8") would probably suffice, one that ALSO rotates horizontally and vertically would be a bonus. My power tool purchases usually involve the best for the money without going nuts since I found out long ago that el cheapo tools often cause later regrets and money wasted. It is not possible for me to afford David White self-leveling laser levels, but have considered the Porter Cable RT-7690-2 at the upper end and the RoboToolz RT-7610-5 or LaserMark MP5 at the lower end. Most of my uses would be inside for cabinets, room additions, dropped ceilings, remodeling, etc. Hopefully, this would be a one-time purchase. Any suggestions, thoughts or recommendations about the models that I have mentioned or others that I did not mention?? TIA

Michael S.

Reply to
Michael S.

I'm using a friends Porter Cable LR 1100 right now and it's a very handy tool. The remote control for rotation is really handy. I've checked the repeating abilities several times on a series of windows I'm installing and it's right on. I would probably recommend using a good photo tripod instead of the factory tripod.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

My first choice (and my newest addition) is the Rugby 200 by Leica Geosystems. Package price around $2000. The rugby 100 is a little cheaper and may suffice also.

My second choice (one I have worked with) is the David White 2150. Package price around $1700

If you are looking at something a little cheaper, try the Spectra physics laserplane 500. I have two that I bought back in the mid 90's and you can pick them up off ebay for around $500 - $600. I think I paid about $1200 for them new.

If it is something you are going to use once a year, or accuracy isn't an issue, go with the home owner porter cable model or something similiar. Amazon has several models available for under $800. I work as a general contractor and own several lasers. Accuracy, quality, and durability are extremely important to me. A break down is very costly and can send guys home. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

"Slowhand" pick them up off ebay for around $500 - $600. I think I paid about $1200

If you're looking for something a lot cheaper, you could strap your laser level to a miniature raft and float it in a clear glass of water hanging from a string.... Oops, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so nevermind. ;-)

Reply to
mrdancer