Self levelling laser spirit level advice sought

I have a rather unusual application for a self levelling spirit level and wondered if anyone here could advise of a suitable type.

I want to use it to level a motorcaravan when parking it on site; the idea would be to mark a plumbline within sight of the driver's seat and use the laser line to indicate when level, preferable side-to-side as well as fore-aft. So the instrument would have to find its own plumb level. It could either be mag mounted on the dash or hung from the rear view mirror. Naturally, I'd be looking for the least expensive model that would perform this job. Having looked at various sites, I am completely confused! The price range seems enormous and I can't see any relevance to spec. Anyone got any suggestions?

cheers Rog

Reply to
RB News

It happens that RB News formulated :

What is wrong with a low tech solution such as a bit of string and a plum-bob?

Use an old fashioned bubble level to get the thing level side to side and end to end first, then hang the plum-bob from a set point. Now put a mark at the point of the plum-bob. A suitable hanging point might be from the internal rear view mirror, with a mark on top of the dash to aim for.

Alternatively you can get circular bubble levels which allow you to get both fore and aft, plus side to side correct. Another type has two separate small bubble levels in one unit. All you do is get the van level with a normal bubble level as above, then fix the permanent level adjusting it as necessary with packing pieces to show level.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Park on a nice flat surface. Obtain some plastercine and a bubble level glass, or some "epoxy putty" if you want it more permenant. Put the blob of plastercine somewhere convenient on the dash, put bubble level on top, wobble it around till it's level. Trim off excess, and you're done.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks Harry and Ian for the suggestions. I already have a bubble spirit level with two phials fixed at right angles, which is what I use when SWMBO is driving. I place this on the top of the shelf above the 'frig which I know to be fairly level and stand in the back whilst she maneouvres into a level ground position, or onto the ramps if need be. However, I am now using the 'van for business and want to be able to level it on my own. Of course, your suggestions of fixing the spirit level in the cab where I can see it, fixed in place whilst on a known level surface, make excellent sense; I also particularly like Harry's idea of the plumbob suspended from the rear view mirror over a dot. Of course, both of these ideas have now blown my excuse for getting a fancy gimble-mounted, gyroscopically levelled laser unit completely out of the water. You do know that in life, he who dies owning the most gadgets, wins? Robert Dyas are advertising the B&D LZR4 360deg self-levelling c/w folding tripod case for only £30 . . . cheers Roger a.k.a. Inspector Gadget

Reply to
RB News