Laser levels for tiling a room....

I am about to tile all of the walls in a c shaped room from floor to ceiling.
I am therefore in the market for a decent but good value laser level so I can mark the walls with a perfectly horizontal plumb line all the way round and also mark perfectly plumb vertical lines on each piece of wall.
I did use a screwfix one a few years ago, but felt it was rather flimsy. It went back to the shop for a refund.
And recommendations?
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:50:33 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

spirit level & a pencil?
Jim K
On 18/01/2014 22:02, Jim K wrote:

NO! Even a cheap laser level is better than that. I only have a cheap one bought from a shed many years ago when they were new to the DIY market. In your case I would suggest looking for recommendations in Amazon, which I usually find pretty reliable for tools.
I agree that a pencil and spirit level just does not cut the mustard.....
The screwfix laser level allowed me to mark a level line all around the room before it fell apart.....
And the laser level allowed me to mark up a vertical line once I found the midpoint of each wall.....
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:24:48 PM UTC, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

?? define "fall apart"?

spirit levels work for verticals too...
Jim K
It was mounted on a tripod that was of flimsy construction.
You had to rotate the laser level around the tripod, trouble was that the tripod moved as you rotated the laser level around some laser light moved up or down.

Lot of people out there sre in sledgehammer-to-crack-a-nut syndrome. Lasers not neccessary for tiny job like this. Just another toy.
Maybe handy if you did it for a living.

Disagree. It's one of those tools that, once you have one to hand, it finds more uses than you might expect.
On Sunday 19 January 2014 10:24 snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - guttering, tiling, shelving, landscaping (if your garden is on a slope). The list is long!

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal

FSV of "long" ;-)
Jim K
On 19/01/2014 11:06, Tim Watts wrote:

I've got a couple of cheapies, bought for decking, but you can't see the line in daylight.

The Medway Handyman brought next idea :

That is easily overcome, mark the reference lines at dusk.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 19/01/2014 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Not awfully practical.....

The Medway Handyman brought next idea :

No, but it gets around the problem of using a cheap laser to do the job rather than paying an awful lot of money for professional grade equipment.
Another way I found to use it, when I used it to lay out my workshop, was to make a target out of black rain down pipe, with some white paper at the back end. The pipe keeps the light out, enabling the line to be seen on the paper.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On Sunday 19 January 2014 11:47 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That's probably true of most red line lasers. I set my guttering datum line at dusk.
Rotating is better (bright spot) and green is (usually) better, but more expensive. Then you can get ones with detectors that work even if you cannot see the laser!
The latter one might be very suitable for your type of work - at least outside.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com wrote on 19/01/2014 :

I agree, brilliantly simple to use and in my case very accurate. Try this simple test.
Mark an horizontal line around even a small room with a pencil and level. Note how far out it is where the lines meet.
Now try it with a laser level marking at the end of its scanned line. Mine met up with no discernible error.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 18/01/2014 22:51, Jim K wrote:

A bit of string and a weight is more accurate and it works for horizontals too.
On Sunday 19 January 2014 20:50 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Except the laser can be mounted on a pole and moved around (eg for every couple of courses of tile when tiling a wall) whereas a string is much more buggering about.

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
On Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:59:07 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

why would you bother with either when tiling a wall? once the first row is on (on a temp batten) tile spacers and the tiles will keep things level?
Jim K
On Sunday 19 January 2014 21:19 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's good to guard against cumulative error Jim.
I noticed tiles have sligh imperfects arounf the edges and I'm sures these could add up to a wonky line...

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal