Tile Laser Layout?

I was talking to an electrician on the weekend and he was telling me about a "laser / level" that a friend of his had bought to layout tile. As he explained, it sounded like one could hang the laser system on the wall and then adjust the tile angle and size to project a grid onto the floor. I tried to google it but only came up with laser squares. The more I think about it I wonder if such a system could even exists? since the height and location of laser would cause the laser image to "keystone" as it got further away. THOUGHTS?

Reply to
HotRod

It would be possible to compensate for the keystoning. Projectors for conference rooms do so. Maybe you could point a projector at the floor? That combined with a graphics program like Illustrator or Freehand would let you plan and project some really complicated pattern. Could be fun for a tile- and computer- loving geek. (No offense meant by the term 'geek', btw.)

Reply to
Jacque

Since I am a computer geek this is an option but I'm not sure I want my multimedia projector on the job site. How would I explain the dust to my wife when I blow the $500 bulb?

Reply to
HotRod

I use a laser square when I am setting tile. Using measurements and a chalk line I set my first column, but from there I use the laser square to project a straight line down each column and row of tile. It really helps keep the tile super straight and keeps you from wandering as tile isn't always perfectly square or sized consistently.

The other advantage is that as you lay down th> I was talking to an electrician on the weekend and he was telling me about a

Reply to
jeffreydesign

I have a tripod laser but not a nice laser square. In the past I've screwed down a piece of 1x4 and then worked off of that, I can normally 2 or three rows at a time and use it to butt my tiles against. Since I've been laying a lot of tile lately and messing my knees up I'd be more than willing to invest in the machine. I do this after I finish my desk hob each day and every job my price has gone up and the customers are still more than happy to pay so I think I'll just keep going for now.

Reply to
HotRod