Laser levels for tiling a room....

On Sunday 19 January 2014 23:30 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Probably Jim - my successes at stuff I'm not a professional at are down to adapting for my skills (basically compensating for the lack of).

No, a real "pro" probably won't. If you can get good results, good for you.

For some of us, lack of skill/practise can be compensated for with tools. For me, the laser level is to tiling (and other things) as a Fugi tool is to siliconing (and my siliconing beats whoever did the Premier Inn down at Highcliffe!). If you go back on this group, occasionally there will be some sneering at the Fugi tools - saying an Aldi "special" is as good or noone needs anything other than a wet finger.

Sod that - some tools suit some people - it's not black and white. A few "pros" could do with them too :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

string is

I was wondering as well, the snag with working to a laser line is that when you are close enough to work you block the laser...

For getting the first critical level (the batten) right they are very useful after that I'd just measure up and put some marks every third row or so just to check things aren't drifting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But why? Once the batten is fixed and you are tiling over it why do you need a level at all?

Reply to
dennis

Hmmmm so when you did that nice tiled bathroom at yours back in 2010? Did you use a laser then?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Monday 20 January 2014 00:13 Jim K wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Good memory sir.

Yes. That was the main purpose of me getting it - but it found a load of other uses. Those were 10cm tiles (so a lot of horizontals that could accumulate error.

Now I've knackered it I have ordered a replacement.

Reply to
Tim Watts

My neighbours didn't bother with silly old levels!

MattyF

You live next door to Adelbert Ames?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Monday 20 January 2014 08:47 MattyF wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Awesome! But not for migraine sufferers...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can buy 8x4 waterproof boards that take about 20 mins to fit. I would have fitted the bath and then those.

Reply to
dennis

Ah yes "care home chic"?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I've just carefully mounted a wall cupboard parallel to the ceiling it's just below - not horizontal, that wouldn't fit in this place, where it might have been horizontal a couple of hundred years ago, but not any more.

Unfortunately it's next to a floor standing unit.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I did consider that, but I didn't fancy anything that could be pulled down easily (3 young kids).

Also, I was installing a shower tray that has only around a 12mm lip and a pumped shower, so I needed to have the cubicle up before we could shower at all and since the side rails sit on the tiles for the full height of the shower, I wanted to have the minimum number of tiles to install after the tray went down, so I was always going to have to tile at least part way downwards.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I did consider white backed, heavily frosted glass panels for the back, but decided to go with tiling to match the rest of the room. Even If I had installed waterproof panels and then tiled over them after, I'd have had to spend time stripping off the plaster and getting the depth right, as the tiles would have to have matched depth with the rest of the same walls, as they are half tiled.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

In message , snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net writes

I've flicked through the thread, and didn't see mine mentioned (I'm not bothering about the debate about whittling your own level from a small child).

I just getting to the end of the bathroom refit, and I bought one before I started it has been used for studwalling, projecting levels around the room, for things like getting the top of a cupboard opening level with a door way. For getting tiles in different areas lined up, projecting a line along plasterboard sheets for cutting. etc. etc. For some jobs it is much easier.

I've got a Stanley CLLi:

It works as you'd expect, The line is bright enough indoors, would as has been mentioned struggle over longer distances out doors. Self levelling, seems sturdy, with a rubbery cover over part of it. Seem to be level (as accurate as a typical spirit level).

The sprung pole works well, it's easy to put up and move around. Doesn't need to be especially plumb for the level to be happy. Slightly fiddly if you are trying to get the line at just the right height, but you get the knack (though more awkward if it happens to be where the pole joint is). There are marks on the pole to help judge the adjustment required. Level is easily rotated to project a level around the room.

Only limitation really is that it can't project the line vertically quite up to directly above (or down for that matter). so if you wanted to project a line across a ceiling there is a limit to where it would reach. (I think they do a more expensive model with the laser window extended up onto the top)

Would recommend it for a pretty cheap one, di the job for me :-)

And Folkestone Fixings are excellent retailers, good prices,and efficient service.

Reply to
chris French

You don't tile over them, they are the finish. The ones I used were a sheet of "Formica" backed with ~10mm PIR foam. A "nice" marble finish.

They are 100% water proof and warm to the touch.

You can even get tile finishes.

Reply to
dennis

On Sunday 19 January 2014 16:58 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Thanks for the tip matey...

I just collected mine - for £70 I am pretty impressed. Much better than the CL90 it is replacing (broke mine):

1) I think it is *slightly* brighter - indoors, great, outdoors, maybe depending on lots of things.

2) It is a more secure shape (less likely to drop from hand).

3) No pole (but I have mine left from the CL90). However, does come with a very funky clamp for mounting onto almost anything. Contains a tripod screw too.

4) Proper pendulum lock - I like this - for when you do want an angle.

Have not checked the accuracy yet - though I don't expect any problems...

Reply to
Tim Watts

As regards a level line round the walls, those glass tubes connected by a hose with water in them are extremely accurate. Can't remember what they're called. But you do ideally need two people to use them. Any bit of string with a weight on the end will give you a vertical.

I have a laser level - quite cheap - from Lidl. Nicely made with a little tripod. But it still relies on its internal spirit level at the end of the day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Simply a water level;

The Medway Handyman

But then it wouldn't match the tiles on the rest of the bathroom.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW