Lidl Laser level?

successfully negotiated the purchase of a laser level in Birmingham today.

Got a bit bored in the traffic and assembled it thinking that measuring the tilt on HGV's would spice up the car number spotting.

£12.99 for a splodge of red light that wasn't as bright as the lucky bag freeby I dangle my keys on. It is not going to aid my wallpapering, unless I do it after darkness falls.

Is the reason they are cheap because they are all like that, or did I have a duff one?

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

I have had a few good bargaind from Lidl, but I would guess it's 12.99 for a reason.

The tripod is quite good really :-)

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Mine cost £300 and it is a absolutely wonderful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

For that money I'd expect it to be capable of decapitating a burglar. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I got a laser level from Screwfix for 60 quid when it was half price. It has two laser levels in it, one vertical and one horizontal.

It also came with a tripod and that was height adjustable. The laser unit could be rotated all the way round.

They are incredibly useful and I have used it for:

  1. Marking a horizontal ine around a room for tiling.

  1. Marking a horizontal line around a room for wall lights.

  2. Marking a horizontal line all round the room for wall sockets. Some of my rooms have as many as 8 double sockets.

  1. Ditto for landing where there are four sets of light switches.

  2. marking a horizontal line around a room's windows and doors so that the curtain poles were all level and also all at the same height.

  1. I had a sloping garden that had a height difference of 1.2 metres from one end to the other. So I was able to mark on 44 wood fence posts with a marker pen a level horizontal line. I had to do this in the dark because of the garden being so big and it was impossible to see the red laser in daylight on the posts. This aided the construction of a retaining wall so that the garden could be levelled out and also to put up a new fence that was level all the way round at the top!.

  2. I have used it to mark two parallel vertical lines on a internal wall before using a stone cutter to cut through the wall so that a new door frame could be fitted. Having nice straight vertical brick sides made life much easier!

I also have a set of spirit levels of 300, 600, 1200 and 1800 mm lengths but often when working in restricted or confined spaces they are either too short or too long. Additionally, you don't need to hold the laser light while marking up like you would with a spirit level!

Worth every penny!

Reply to
stephenten

Thanks,

The main driving force behind my Lidl purchase was the 12.99 price tag.

I have to go out today to get some wood. glue, so I'll see what Toolstation and Screwfix have to offer.

A laser level is nice to have, but the truth is, I have a job in mind and then it will go in a cupboard for around five years till the next job comes along :-(

Regards

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

£200 will get you a 5W laser that will decapitate a burglar if you can keep him still for an hour or so.

My 2.5W laser would take twice as long but was a lot cheaper.

Its the sort of thing that would get you tasered or shot if you pointed at a plane rather than a piece of wood in the cutting area.

Reply to
dennis