Lidl Laser level?

successfully negotiated the purchase of a laser level in Birmingham today.
Got a bit bored in the traffic and assembled it thinking that measuring the tilt on HGV's would spice up the car number spotting.
£12.99 for a splodge of red light that wasn't as bright as the lucky bag freeby I dangle my keys on. It is not going to aid my wallpapering, unless I do it after darkness falls.
Is the reason they are cheap because they are all like that, or did I have a duff one?
AB
On 07/06/2019 19:18, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp Esq wrote:

Mine cost £300 and it is a absolutely wonderful.
Bill
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 20:32:53 +0100, Bill Wright

I have had a few good bargaind from Lidl, but I would guess it's 12.99 for a reason.
The tripod is quite good really :-)
AB
For that money I'd expect it to be capable of decapitating a burglar. Brian
--
----- --
On 08/06/2019 08:26, Brian Gaff wrote:

£200 will get you a 5W laser that will decapitate a burglar if you can keep him still for an hour or so.
My 2.5W laser would take twice as long but was a lot cheaper.
Its the sort of thing that would get you tasered or shot if you pointed at a plane rather than a piece of wood in the cutting area.
I got a laser level from Screwfix for 60 quid when it was half price. It ha s two laser levels in it, one vertical and one horizontal.
It also came with a tripod and that was height adjustable. The laser unit c ould be rotated all the way round.
They are incredibly useful and I have used it for:
1. Marking a horizontal ine around a room for tiling.
2. Marking a horizontal line around a room for wall lights.
3. Marking a horizontal line all round the room for wall sockets. Some of m y rooms have as many as 8 double sockets.
4. Ditto for landing where there are four sets of light switches.
5. marking a horizontal line around a room's windows and doors so that the curtain poles were all level and also all at the same height.
6. I had a sloping garden that had a height difference of 1.2 metres from o ne end to the other. So I was able to mark on 44 wood fence posts with a ma rker pen a level horizontal line. I had to do this in the dark because of t he garden being so big and it was impossible to see the red laser in daylig ht on the posts. This aided the construction of a retaining wall so that th e garden could be levelled out and also to put up a new fence that was leve l all the way round at the top!.
7. I have used it to mark two parallel vertical lines on a internal wall b efore using a stone cutter to cut through the wall so that a new door frame could be fitted. Having nice straight vertical brick sides made life much easier!
I also have a set of spirit levels of 300, 600, 1200 and 1800 mm lengths bu t often when working in restricted or confined spaces they are either too s hort or too long. Additionally, you don't need to hold the laser light whil e marking up like you would with a spirit level!
Worth every penny!
On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 01:03:16 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Thanks,
The main driving force behind my Lidl purchase was the 12.99 price tag.
I have to go out today to get some wood. glue, so I'll see what Toolstation and Screwfix have to offer.
A laser level is nice to have, but the truth is, I have a job in mind and then it will go in a cupboard for around five years till the next job comes along :-(
Regards
AB