side to side taper on jointer

Any thoughts on why my Jet 6" jointer is suddenly creating a SIDE TO SIDE taper (on the width of the board, not the length)? It's impossible to get a good face on a nearly flat piece of rough stock. Keeps cutting on one side, gets thinner, and thinner. If I reverse the board, I get a high spot down the middle. I've never seen this before.

I'm in the middle of replacing the blades and tuning up the alignments. Figured I'd start there to make sure everything is right.

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Sounds like your fence isn't at 90 deg to the table.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I'd say knifes need to be adjusted. Sounds like they are not on plane with the table.

Reply to
RRhodes

Bob,

Sounds like the outfeed table is not parallel to the knives. Did you happen to lift the jointer by the outfeed table and maybe pulled one gib up slightly - just a few thousandths will do it. Make sure you can adjust both the infeed and outfeed tables and that everything is in alignment as per the manual.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

From the sounds of it somehow you have gotten at least one blade higher on one side (the side that is cutting) then the other. Remember, it only take one of the blades to be out not necessarily all of them.

Reply to
Mike G

I had this problem with my jointer last year. You can check to see if the tables are twisted by using a set of winding sticks.

David

Reply to
David E. Penner

Could be you are putting more pressure on one side than on the other. This will cause the jointer to remove more material from that side.

Reply to
Tim