First they came for lightbulbs

You'd have to exchange the front seat passengers too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's because the basic design from the 50s is 100% efficient

tim

Reply to
tim...

But lots love wasting power. It's a cave man thing. Shows how good a provider they are. From the days of gathering wood.

The fuss over the vacuum cleaner thing was amazing. Most of it coming from those who've never touched one in their lives.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only the most basic ones. My ancient one is thermostatically controlled, so you can start from cold.

And as regards frying meat etc first to 'seal' it, up to you. Same as so much in cooking. It just gives some meat and some veg a better texture after cooking.

To me, the main advantage of a slow cooker is things don't get ruined if left on a long time. Unlike virtually any other cooking method. You could come in a day late and still have a hot stew waiting for you, ready to eat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the ride height was raised and those horrid bumpers were on UK spec models. Ruining a once half decent looking/handling car.

Which knocks your argument into the middle of the Atlantic. Nothing new there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Has anyone here had to replace one since the "eco" ones were introduced? Any comments on relative performance?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I always find it amusing how forceful some of the more, umm, unreconstructed men here can get over a bloody vacuum cleaner.

But, then, I always found it amazing how some of the cheap vacs were prepared to shout about how they were TWO THOUSAND WATT - yet if you had to use one, they were shit at actually sucking up, except at making a lot of heat and noise - while something like a Henry did a much better job with half the power.

I think it's part of the knee-jerk anti-climate-change mindset. Using less power must be a BAD thing.

Reply to
Adrian

I've got three here - all well below the new limit. And the oldest probably 20 years old - a wet or dry which lives in the workshop. They all do what they say on the tin - so really don't know what all the fuss is about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just got myself a 'henry' At 650W its about as powerful and a lot quieter than my yonks old 1300W one was.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've been thinking of exchanging mine for years.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Does she know that?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Quite. But just love working themselves up about some 'slight' from the EU, aimed personally at them.

My upright is a pretty old Panasonic. Works ok and will only be replaced when it breaks. Dyson make a big point about their super efficient motors etc - so surely must work at least as well as this 1000 watt upright?

It would, of course, be silly to restrict power on a kettle which is near

100% efficient. And I'll eat my hat if the EU do bring in a upper limit for them, on the grounds of efficiency. As unlike many here, I don't consider them stupid.

But most who have actually used a variety of vacuums know they vary quite a bit in suck, and this isn't directly related to the power input. So legislating to make them more efficient seems ok to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a couple of those new-fangled light bulbs with ribbon LEDs, which glow brightly when switched on, just like an old filament bulb. Impressive. They use very little power. I'm sure it wouldn't take much for the technophobes in Brussels to think that the elements in a toaster could be replaced by such a ribbon LED, thereby saving megawatts across Europe. (Do they actually make toast in Europe, or is this just a clandestine anti-Brit thing?).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Why legislate to limit the maximum, why not just mandate an A->F rating and let people *choose* what they want?

After all the rating system is what they did for fridges/freezers and they're probably the top household appliances for energy use (in non-electric heated houses).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its recommended.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am wondering whether you meant this to be satire, or whether you actually believed what you wrote there...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'That's an advantage !, what happens if you forget to switch it on ? There's a few things I buy that are slow cooked, all it takes is 5 mins then 1 min standing then another 3 mins in the microwave and I have a meal ready, no wating about for hours adn I can decide what I want 10 mins before eating rather than have to decide what I want or how hungry I'll be in 10 yuors time.

or it could be stone cold too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

No, no, np. The life of LEDs is too long that the manufacturers won't stand for the lack of repeat sales. First you introduce energy saving CFL toasters, then when people complain about the sickly colour and lukewarm toast that won't melt butter you back-track a little to allow eco-halogen toasters, only later do you introduce a series of 850nm,

940nm, 1050nm etc LED toasters and finally LASER toasters ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

No point really in specifying this on a kettle as they are so close to

100% efficient.

It's quite possible they are looking at all domestic appliances. But of course the Europe hating press have to single out one to make a song and dance about. Before any real proposals are made.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How? 99% of the energy goes into the water with a tiny tiny bit lost in the lead and through the case.

Reply to
Tim Watts