DIY Legality

That's 237 kWh of electricity... Dennis will have a fit, he likes to load up a pair of 4 way trailing leads to 20A apiece and plug them both in for a fortnight apparently.

Shame they don't give figures for 26A as well... Still, even then they probably exceed an hour or two which is typically in excess of a real world loading (dennis' house excepted of course).

Reply to
John Rumm

Next you will be telling me you expect the brakes on your car to stop you from 70 mph every time, no matter how often you use them...

Its called engineering - balancing requirements, cost, and performance. Any fool can over engineer something, and spends lots of other peoples money doing so for no real world gain. The skill is to come up with a design that meets performance and expectations in actual practice. The BS1363 plug socket are world class examples of designs that do just that.

Reply to
John Rumm

That would be high quality dangerous crap that meets and exceeds the full British standard, and has decades of proven reliable and safe use in practice. You might need a new definition of "such dangerous crap".

Its easy to concoct scenarios where you can deliberately break something in theory and say "hey this is dangerous". The real world is a different place.

Reply to
John Rumm

I do! They can! It only takes a few seconds for them to cool, less than the time it takes to get back to 70 mph. I wouldn't expect them to fade at all unless you are stupid enough to use them to slow down on a long steep hill.

You had better tell the car designers that its cheaper to kill people than design proper systems.

Reply to
dennis

So says the man that thinks you need to stop the car and not drive it for 10 minutes or so after you brake from 70 mph!

Reply to
dennis

I've driven cars that did...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, the whole safety of the installation relies on people not wanting to do rather than not being able to do it. Brilliant bit of design that is.

Why? You wouldn't be anywhere near the fuse if you really want to steal electricity. Just make sure you put the slabs back level.

Reply to
dennis

Not a chance.

Reply to
dennis

Considering some of the ridiculous over safe requirements of the IEE wiring regs, it seems a huge oversight that it is allowable to have a double socket that is a potential fire hazard when loaded with perfectly acceptable equipment!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Patio heaters, heating a wedding marquee, heating a garage to dry paint, swimming pool, etc. "Well if they are stupid enough to do that they deserve what they get."

Reply to
dennis

Not true. It takes a few minutes for them to get back to normal temperature. Not only that, on a modern car, stopping from 70 once won't cause them to heat up enough to affect their performance. Doing it three or four times within a couple of minutes may do.

If you buy a proper high performance sports car, you *need* to do some heavy braking early in the drive to get the linings up to their working temperature.

You've never driven an automatic, then. That's the only way to stop them speeding up while going down long, steep hills. Learner drivers are now taught not to control speed using the gearbox, but to use the brakes.

Still, brakes now are a *lot* less prone to fade than they were when I learnt to drive, thank goodness.

Reply to
John Williamson

Old people are old. With a few exceptions, they aren't stupid.

Most old people that I've met will only put one heater in each room, and for warmth, they put one in the bedroom and one in the living room, and then sit as close as they can to the one in the living room. The others just put layers of clothes on.

Reply to
John Williamson

Have you checked the stock at B&Q? The last time I looked, all the portable electric heaters I saw in there had thermostats. Whenever I look, I find that all my local retail outlets have similar features on their stock.

The only safety feature I couldn't find that I wanted was a way of wall mounting one of their convector heaters.

Reply to
John Williamson

Are you really sure about that "a few seconds" bit? Why do racing cars have different brakes? Try getting your brakes glowing hot (drive with the brakes on for a bit to do this), and see how long they take to stop glowing : it's quite a bit more than the "few seconds" you state. Or, probably easier, drive along an empty A-road at 70-odd, stop hard for a layby, leap out with an IR thermometer and see how the disk temperature changes with time.

Reply to
Clive George

Wrong.

Wrong.

Quite so.

W-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-lll. Possibly. Sometimes. Perhaps.

Reply to
Huge

No. He's an idiot, in this as in all other things.

Reply to
Huge

Is that in continoius operation ?

I thought it was some caculation based on the fact that the Twin & earth used was rated as 18 Amps max working current and when this is in a ring main this can be uped from 18 to 20 amps. It';s the cable that is connected to the socket that is the limiting factor. I know the actual switches have a rating too.

I'd expect something a little more exact than that, a few hours..... does that mean the hours ar in single figures or is 2 a couple and 3+ a few ...

Reply to
whisky-dave

It has a lower rating than the fuse that protects it. Common sense tells us that this is wrong. The British Standard is also wrong, but that's no excuse for not using common sense when designing a product.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

27 quid.

That might be ok if they are fully unravelled and outside in the snow.

They probably don't quote what happens at 26A as it most likely involves the emergency services.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Quite a few people have told me to do this with a turbo diesel. But not 10 minutes, more like 2. I've never done that however, and never busted the engine or the turbo. And it's more than 70mph.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott