Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Ophelia
Just a placeholder for any information about the storm, should it be of use or interest. Elsewhere, yellow and pink skies, wind picking up a little in the south west, ireland braced for v heavy rain...
21
21

faintly red colour cast today
Have you got the red mist? Not rage, dust from the Sahara apparently. I first noticed that the world was tinged pink when I came indoors and wondered why the kitchen lights seemed vaguely green. The...
31
31

uPVC Repair
One of the delightful children* who play on the green outside our house hav e put a 2 1/2"x 3/4" hole in the skin of our uPVC front door. It must have taken some doing! Does the group know of any...
17
17

PC monitor & electrical discharge
I have replaced my monitor as the old one had a dodgy mains connection (somewhere within the monitor) It would cut out and if I wiggled it I could get it to come back on, with nothing to lose as I...
6
6

OT: Foot Pain
Gentlemen, I consider myself to be very 'lucky' because last winter I contracted Shingles. It certainly didn't seem lucky at the time, of course, but it has proven to be, with the benefit of...
8
8

How to paint radiator covers
Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question. Have installed a radiator cover before but...
9
9

freezing silicone sealant
I've bought too many tubes of sealant. Can I freeze it until spring? Bill
24
24

Not sure I beleive that Rail line repair
Fixing a railway line in Alaska.... They had a worn section to replace so measured up the length they had on the truck, with which to replace it - around 14 feet. Chalk marked the damaged piece to cut...
5
5

Floor sockets
I want to install sockets in the floorboards in our living room. It is approximately 7x6 metres and has three sofas in a U arrangement more or less in the middle. There are square tables at the...
29
29

Room thermostat wiring
I have to fit a room thermostat into a building where there is already an old three-wire connection for a (mechanical) thermostat, but no existing thermostat. So it is not immediately obvious which...
40
40

Continuation :- Beginner airbrush
Further to my asking what brush I should get to learn with ,ie not whoopedo rather inexpensive to see whether I get-on with the 'art' of airbrushing. I have still been searching (slowly, I am in no...
1
1

citric degreaser
Can anyone recommend a cheap citric based degreaser? I need to clean old petrol varnish off a long unused motorbike tank as it is currently flaking off and blocking the fuel cock. AJH
3
3

FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)
Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner. Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had...
73
73

OT: Bloody kids
What is it with hormonal baby makers? A very rude woman told me I mustn't park in the parent and child spaces at the supermarket. I told her it was closer to the shop and I see no reason she should...
75
75

Another anti-diy law
NT The victim of an attack tells the BBC those carrying out such assaults should face a life sentence.
51
51