PC monitor & electrical discharge

I have replaced my monitor as the old one had a dodgy mains connection (somewhere within the monitor) It would cut out and if I wiggled it I could get it to come back on, with nothing to lose as I have a new one it is my intention to open it up and if something simple and obvious then I will repair. The monitor will have benn lying unused for a few days so is there any danger (to me) with any electrical discharges? (thinking microwave ovens)

Reply to
ss

ss was thinking very hard :

Is it a CRT or LED type?

CRT type can hold a high voltage for a while..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Its LCD LED (googled as no spec manual)

Reply to
ss

There is still a possiblity of some of the power supply electolytics being charged up to 300V, so it woul be good practice to discharge them with an insulated probe to a few thousand ohm resistor to earth. Backlight supplies used to be a potential risk, but I think that's obsolete technology.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Probably not. I would think any mains side (400V) caps would have decayed, but you can find them and use rubber gloves to pop a resistor across them easily enough

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess if its a flat screen lcd type probably OK same cannot be said for crt ones though. The usual failure is on the socket itself or on the item its mounted on having dry joints where its soldered to the pcb. I prefer those designs where mechanically stressed items are not on pcbs as it has been my experience that they are just not as robust when pcb mounted. I have a set of pc speakers at the moment where the bass unit feeds two mid/high speakers via a 3.5mm socket and this is now so intermittennt any attempt to make it work using a pointy thing to respring the contacts, last about a week. Its a crap pcb mounted plastic heap of crap socket.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

No problems then. Be a bit careful taking it apart some seem to have been assembled by the controlled implosion method in that unless you know what bits to support the removal of the back ends up with a pile of bits and pieces which seem unable to fit back together without five pairs of hands. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff