uPVC Repair

One of the delightful children* who play on the green outside our house hav e put a 2 1/2"x 3/4" hole in the skin of our uPVC front door. It must have taken some doing! Does the group know of any product that would work to fil l the hole or any other method of repair?

Philip

*Out of control chavy brats.
Reply to
philipuk

I've used SIKA/Everbuild 165 to weld PVC repairs, maybe you could cut a 'dutchman' from e.g. some PVC trunking/capping if the missing piece isn't available? Adapt plasterboard patching methods to PVC? It's probably going to be hard to disguise the repair well.

Whether it will survive return visits from the delightful children is another matter ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Home insurance.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

That was my other thought.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are you sure its not courtesy of your local council flail cutters on the green catapulting their stones in all directions? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Happened at the weekend and there is a wall, fence and our garden between us and the green, so I think that's unlikely.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

Check your excess before claiming as a claim will go on your history and the bill might be little more than your excess. So paying out might be better than marring a claim free record. I have heard that even asking insurers about whether to claim of not will put it on your history irrespective of whether they have to pay.

Also some UPVC panels are fitted into the door in the same way as glass would be and so could be exchangeable.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

you'll pay it all back in raised premiums.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Stones do fly up at funny angles - my lawnmower flicked a stone up that hit a double glazed window fully 5' off the ground. The impact spalled a flake of glass off the inside surface of the outer pane of the double glazing unit too but didn't amazingly break through or break the seal.

That expensive highly filled Sugru gunk sold in various colours might do a crude repair to keep the weather out. I bought it on offer at Amazon to qualify for free delivery and found to my surprise it was actually quite good for what would otherwise be awkward repairs.

I have found it very good for damage to the weather seal on cars (a bit too rigid but much better than a gap). Sticks OK to almost anything.

Otherwise maybe fitting a panel of the 6mm foamed PVC sheet over the hole in such a way as to look intended and solvent glue.

Reply to
Martin Brown

If it's in a panel, rather than a "frame" bit of the door, they're replaceable and inexpensive.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

have put a 2 1/2"x 3/4" hole in the skin of our uPVC front door. It must h ave taken some doing! Does the group know of any product that would work to fill the hole or any other method of repair?

It is a panel, but it's a door sized panel not a small panel.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

sand it rough, car body filler and spray a target on it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Legalising abortion up to the age of 16 years of age would be my suggestion.

Reply to
ARW

Hanging is cheaper.

Reply to
Capitol

Depends whether they bring the axe again...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Legalise youthenasia - or perhaps yoofenasia nowadays.

Reply to
PeterC

ave put a 2 1/2"x 3/4" hole in the skin of our uPVC front door. It must hav e taken some doing! Does the group know of any product that would work to f ill the hole or any other method of repair?

If it's on a panel, fit a new panel. Easy enough job. Virtually impossible to repair invisibly. Plenty of bodges you could do.

Reply to
harry

It would certainly save the state a lot of money for these ones.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk