Repair upvc window sill

Had new windows fitted last week and during my bathroom renovation I managed to drop a piece of wood on the sill. As this is made out of a cellular plastic section it has managed to make a hole about 2 inches by 1/2 inch.

Any suggestions on products to fix this. I figured I could use white silicon sealant, but not sure this would smooth out that well.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
deckertim

I would try decorators caulk from B & Q etc. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

Silicone sealant wouldn't cure level and flush, you would probably have to finish the sealant proud then remove the excess when cured, but subsequent sanding and levelling will damage the upvc surface surrounding the filled area. If you aren't too fussy you could repair the hole with filler then either paint the damaged area to get a close a match as possible, or paint the whole sill. If you are fussy then the sill will have to be replaced. Alternatively it would be worth trying to find some upvc profile that could be glued over the sill; the firm that installed your windows should be able to advise on that.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Tim,

I know you said 'sill' but is it inside or outside?

If its inside, it should be fairly easy to take it off and fit a new one (it's usually only stuck down onto the old windowboard using mastic). If you are unsure of where to buy it from, just contact your window installers and ask them if they will sell you some (you never know, they might just give it to you).

If it's outside, then you could try and get something like the internal window board, cut it to fit over the existing sill so that it fits snugly over the full length and visible width of the old sill and then stick this down using either 'super glue' of mastic and then make good to the joins with a mastic trim - this method would be better than trying to 'patch' the hole.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G