Help - broken UPVC window frame

Hi All

I was changing the hinges on my 12 year old upvc windows and managed to drop one of them while taking it out. I dropped it straight onto the corner of the frame and the weld on that corner of the frame has broken all the way through. The only way I see to fix it is to get a couple of 'L' shaped plates and screw these to the frame across the weld joint, both on the inside and outside of the frame. This won't look pretty though.

Anyone got a better idea (apart from be more careful in the future).

TIA

Reply to
BodgeIt

Open the crack as much as you dare and put solvent weld cement in and let it close up, clamping with a tourniquet if needed. make sure it is flat. When the cement has gone off hard (next day), file and polish off any visible excess.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Bob, is there a specific 'solvent weld cement' for upvc, and where would I find it?

Reply to
BodgeIt

Used for waste pipes, there are two common "flavours", one for ABS and one for PVC (which will be fine on UPVC).

One works ok on both, one is less successful (I can never remember which way round). But they are usually well labelled, e.g.

newshound