How to remove rusty screw

I'm trying to replace the broken hinges on top-opening uPVC double glazed unit. But some of the screws attaching them to the frame have rusted through. I sprayed WD40 but I get no grip at all with my screwdriver. Is there a way to remove the screws without causing damage to the frame? TIA.

Reply to
Alec

Slot head/Posidrive or Phillips

Reply to
Chris Oates

Assuming they are crosshead, get the apropriate anti cam out rib screwdriver bit and undo them.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I thought your spell checker had failed but no - summat I've never heard of

Chris Oates

Either way, try *tightening* them a tad first, then undoing them.

Reply to
parish

Thanks for many helpful comments. I will try the more gentle method, though standing on a ladder and my hand on an awkward angle it isn't easy to apply solid pressure.

BTW, what kind of screws do I use as replacements - brass, SS, galvanised? As I live near the sea it doesn't take long for the rust to appear on anything metallic.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

BigWallop

Diamond paste in oil, sold as "magic screwdriver grip". It's impressively effective.

A good screwdriver bit helps too. I have a Wiha with diamond-plated faces that is handy for awkward ones. They don't last though, so don't use it for "everyday".

Reply to
Andy Dingley