How to remove roofing nails from below?

I am in the process of replacing some fascia boards that were damaged. These fascia boards are 1x8 and is nailed to another layer of 2x12 and they are nailed to the roof and soffit framing.

I am only removing the outer layer of 1x8. There is a "drip" or a metal flashing that folds down and when they installed the flashing and asphalt cement roof they screwed the flashing down along the edges and nailed down in other spots. Now that I removed the fascia boards, I can see the ends of screws and nails every 4 inches or so sticking out.

In order for me to install the new fascia boards, I need to get the screws and nail ends out of the way. Is there a way to address this without having to redo the flashing above? I really would like to avoid having to mess with it since it's fine. Is there a tool that would allow me to "snip" off the end of the nails and screws in a tight space?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

It's called an "end cut pliers" e.g.

If you need them to be absolutely flush, you can grind them down with an angle grinder after cutting them off.

Depending on how much room you have to get tools in there, you might also be able to just saw them off flush with a reciprocating saw.

Reply to
Doug Miller

e.g.http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm>

I just got an end cut plier and it seems to be able to cut off nail ends but not the screw ends. I think part of the reason is the tight space and I am on a ladder and hence not able to really leverage too much force to really clamp down.

I wonder if a Dremel with a grinding disc would work or not. I saw a show they saw off a galvanized pipe with that - but that's a show and I don't know if it really works or not.

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

The Dremel cut-off disks are very fragile. Any side load at all will shatter the disk. You might make a few cuts but will spend more time putting on new disks than actually cutting...

Reply to
Clark

I double that comment!!! MLD

Reply to
MLD

Can you fit a 4 1/2" grinder in there? With a good cutting disc it would work. Screws are harder than nails. Good luck

Reply to
over40pirate

End cut pliers come in different sizes. I have one that's about 18" long.

*Plenty* of leverage with that sucker.
Reply to
Doug Miller

e.g.http://www.homaktools.com/062endcutpliers.htm>>

Another part might be that screws are a lot harder than nails.

I think those pipes are made from galvanized candy. Or they're pipes for doll houses. Or they show it when they start, and for 4 seconds in the middle, and when they're done.

Reply to
mm

Try a 6" Mini Hacksaw from the BORG

Looks like this:

-- Oren

Oren

Angle grinder is my tool of choice for the nails if there's access room.

What sort of screws? If they're drywall screws you can grab them with pliers and bend them back and forth and they'll snap off, or you could give them a couple or three swats with a hammer in opposite directions

- same result.

RicodJour

That's about the only solution other than an angle grinder which would get very heavy and awkward to use in close quarters. The 4 1/2 grinder would make quick work of the screws and the end nippers would do the nails or just use the grinder for both.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Around our house, we would use a small angle grinder. Available at Harbor Freight for prolly $20-$30

Kate O|||||||O

Reply to
Kate

The "standard" little cutoff disks that come with the dremel are indeed pretty much useless. But they also sell fiber reinforced disks and they are quite durable. I've cut screws and bolts and pipe with them easily. They are a little bigger in diameter than the others though, so you might have trouble fitting them in the space. But they do wear down pretty fast, so if you need to, you could dress them to smaller diameter with a brick or stone.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:KVC9i.25551$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

If the screws are drywall screws they are probably hardened and will not cut.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Again, NG if drywall screws.

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d30g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Another vote for Dremel disks are brittle and shatter...

Not sure if when you mentioned Dremel that you meant you would buy one. If you're gonna buy something choose: - Die grinder for your compressor if you have one or - 4 1/2" grinder or - RotoZip

You'll get more bang for the buck usage out of the first two probably.

Reply to
Al Bundy

I use the heavy duty discs and have no problem. They last a long time if you use good technique.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Get the 4 1/2 and not the 4". Hard to get disks for 4". (So why do they sell them?)

Reply to
mm

That would be my choice for tight places. Just take your time and dont try to force the cut. Another possibility would be to carefully mark the new board and drill or notch it to clear the screws. If you do that you might want to fill the notches or holes with caulking compound to eliminate any gaps or water traps.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

I have about 1 1/2 inch of space so no luck with an angle grinder. Thanks.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse