repair broken aluminum storm window

I have a broken pane in the storm window, one of those aluminum frame things that slides up and down in multiple channels.

Looks like a bb gun hole, then the whole glass pane cracked. But it could also be a stone thrown from a lawnmower, I guess.

Anyway, I got the broken one out of the window. But i can't see how to get the glass out of the frame. I've replaced a zillion glass panes in wood frame windows, with the glaziers points and putty approach, and done a few screens with the rubber strip and spline tool. But this one doesn't come apart in any obvious way.

What do I try next?

Reply to
TimR

Take it to your nearest hardware store.

They baffle me too, but I've take a few in for repair.

Reply to
despen

You probably need to replace the rubber grommet that goes around the glass. When they are new they are flexible enough to work the glass into but when they get old they harden up and it is virtually impossible. Try a glazier or a hardware store that deals in this.

Reply to
gfretwell

The windows I've repaired have mitered corners, with "L" shaped plastic peg that holds each corner together...just pull apart at the corners, trying not to break the plastic pegs. I've also found some sealing strips at hdw stores, but not reliable choices of size/fit.

Reply to
Norminn

If there are no obvious edge clips then there might be L-shaped pieces at the corners which are simply a friction fit inside the four edges of the frame - try holding a piece of wood up to the edge of one against the glass and gently tapping the other end with a hammer.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

the gray rubber strip pulls out. don't know what it takes to put back, i've never done one. The local HW store does it.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I went to a big box store, might have been one with one word in the name. They could sell me the glass cut to size, and if I brought in the window would help me figure out how to get it apart.

I went to the other big box store, might have had two words, and they could sell me the glass also, but it was their opinion these windows couldn't be fixed at all.

I called the last remaining REAL hardware store in the next town, they said bring it in, sure we can fix it. They're a bit expensive but they have every obscure gadget known to mechanics in stock. They got the old geezer out of the back, and he just shook his head. It's staked right on the edge, into the little piece inside; no way he wanted to touch it.

Driving home I passed a sign for an auto glass and repair shop. Worth a stop. They said $20 for glass, $20 for labor, pick it up in a couple of days. Sold! Hope it is as easy as they seemed to think. It does not look easy to me.

Reply to
TimR

I went to a similar place for some glass recently - I needed a piece about 12x10" (I forget the exact dimensions) to replace a cracked pane in our interior porch door. I knew that just one of our big DIY places in town did glass (the others don't mess with it at all), but that it was pretty expensive. I don't think they'd cut to size either, and I really hate cutting glass myself if I can avoid it.

Guy behind the counter at the auto glass place charged me a buck and actually seemed almost embarassed that he had to ask for money at all; they took about 5 minutes to cut it to the size I needed. I'm almost surprised that it didn't cost them more than that just in materials and labor (I'll definitely use them again if I need any 'real' jobs, of course :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

There are l-shaped brackets at each corner that fit inot slots in the frame. But, the brackets are staked into the frame so they don't fall out. You will need to spread the frame a little bit from front to back, to get the brackets out. Dontr it several times over 50 years of home ownership, no big deal, takes 5 minutes max to get all the brackets out.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I just took my broken window to be fixed and was told it would cost $134.00!

Reply to
mhempton1

Ace hardware do not fix windows.

Reply to
mhempton1

Window repair can run from $30 to $300 depending on type, size, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Datz nize. Considering you didn't give any other details my crystal ball says you got a terrific price as they didn't try to rip off the village idiot.

Reply to
Tekkie®