Aluminum window repair

I have aluminum windows (about 14 years old) a few of which have a problem staying up. There is a tube on either side of the window attached at the top with a screw. Inside the tube is a spiral rod and what seems to be a spring. When the window is raised the spiral rod does not go into the tube as obviously intended which in turn does not allow the window to stay up. I tried reattaching the spiral rod to what seems like an anchor location at the bottom of the sash but it doesn't hold. Any ideas how to remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance,

-Richard

Reply to
Richard W. Foster

it does not stay attached to the bottom of the window.. that is why the window keeps falling down... probably gotta do what i plan on doing when i get the time on mine... look over the other ones that are staying up and you will find that the metal is distorted on the one that does not stay up, unlike the ones that work correctly.. i gotta get in there and probably use the needle nose pliers on it to bend the end piece of the tubing on the end to get it to stay in position...just guessing as i really never looked at it too close(ours are in the garage and i open the windows every day to turn on the box fans placed in the windows to remove the heat out of the garage(live in the south and yes its Dec. and we still are hot)..

Reply to
jim