Aluminum Vs Wood Attic Ladder

I was looking at Homedepot for Atttic ladders. The Aluminum ones are just $10-$20 more than the Wood ones. I figure that the Aluminum ones are better. I read the installation instructions and it says you have to adjust the length by cutting the ends off. Has anyone installed a Aluminum one. Is it hard to cut and adjust the length? Did you use a sawzall.

By the way is the Aluminum that much better. It might be lighter. Any other advantage.

Reply to
rsaforjm

I have never seen a AL attic ladder. Cutting the legs of a AL ladder is not hard with a hacksaw or Sawzall and metal blade. Keeping the cut straight is a different story.

Reply to
AlanBown

Get which ever one has a higher weight rating

Reply to
m Ransley

Personally I would go for wood. I would not want to climb up one in the middle of winter without gloves.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Just yesterday I saw a metal (not sure what) one at Lowes. It had had some sort of adjustable length at the bottom so that "No trimming was necessary". Quoted part is their words not mine.

The wooden ones always seem to loosen up and lose screws after a bit of use. I have no experience with the metal ones. If I were in the market for one I would take a serious look at the metal product.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

The wooden ones at Home Depot are rated at 250 lbs, while the aluminum ones are rated at 350 lbs, much sturdier. But you have the prices wrong, the aluminum versions are twice as much. The wooden ones are $75 for either 8' or 10' models, while the aluminum versions are $139 for the 8' and $149 for the 10'.

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis Thompson

With indoor ladders, it probably does not matter much which material. If you see yourself using it a lot, aluminum may be the way to go since wood seems to get loose at the connections. To cut it, just use a metal blade (fine tooth) in your Sawzall or sabre saw.

Reply to
borgunit

The Wooden ones rated for 350 lbs are $129

Reply to
rsaforjm