Need help deciding which attic ladder to buy

As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home centers:

Werner AL2210 300lb rating $195 at Lowes.

Louisville AA229GS 350lb rating $159 at Home Depot.
The only difference I can tell is the Louisville has higher weight rating and has foam boards on the panel for better insulation. So why Lowes is selling the Werner for almost $40 more, I don't know.

Reply to
Mikepier

Because they can get it?

Reply to
HeyBub

So how fat are you? And what's the heaviest thing you'll ever be able to carry up the stairs?

Probably exactly right. At a friend's yesterday, he was asking how they could charge 4 and change for some dip at some store, but 2.75 at another store. And the hostess said what you did.

Isn't Werner THE name in ladders. Are they any better than Louisville? It probably refers to Louiville, China. Also proably Werners, China.

Reply to
mm

.> Isn't Werner THE name in ladders. =A0Are they any better than

Yes it is Werner ladders

And Louisville ladders
Both seem pretty reputable.

Reply to
Mikepier

Yeah, I have never heard of Louisville, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to ladders either. However Werner's name is all over the place.

The thing that I found amusing is that I was at the Orange Colored Store the other day and thought that maybe I would pick up a small ladder to help me get up into my attic. Turns out that a 6' stepladder was significantly cheaper than a 4' stepladder, and I already had a 6' ladder so I just dragged it out of the garage. Was a little less convenient than using a shorter ladder, but I couldn't see paying $60 for one. The one that I already had, I could have bought another one for about $40 IIRC. makes no sense to me.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I bought and installed the Louisville 350lb attic ladder last year. I opted for the 350lb rating because I thought it would be safer, especially if someone is carrying something heavy while walking up or down the ladder.

I had to be sure that I accurately measured the height from the floor to the ceiling to get the right model -- they have the floor-to-ceiling height range on the box.

It took a lot l> As the subject states, here are 2 that I saw at the local home

Jay-T

It's not just the weight rating you need to be concerned with, but also the width.

I would suggest the widest ladder you can get if for nothing more than the convenience. Carrying boxes and other items up a narrow "staircase" and into a narrow opening can be a real pain.

Question: How do you adjust for height? I installed a wooden pulldown many years ago and had to trim the bottom of the steps to allow it to open all of the way.

How does that work with an aluminum ladder?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I couldn't tell you about the Louisville one, but I installed a Werner unit and found it was pretty well designed for one person installation, letting you mount just a lightweight frame in the opening, then hang the ladder assembly before alignment and final connections.

Reply to
Pete C.

re: but I couldn't see paying $60 for one. (a 4' ladder)

A few years back I needed to replace the old 10' ladder that I used to clean my gutters. Just for fun, I looked on eBay on the slim chance that somebody in my area was selling one.

I found a "like new" 10' Werner aluminum step ladder for $60 (pick-up only) from a guy that lived about 350 miles from me. Turns out that the 350 miles was the same 350 miles I was going to drive to get to my parent's house in a few weeks for Christmas. The guy lived about 15 miles from my parents!

I contacted him, asked him if he would hold the later for a few weeks if I paid for it and he said sure.

A few weeks later I strapped the bad boy to the top of my Ram Van and brought it home.

The guy used it *once* to paint a cathedral ceiling and had no further use for it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*I looked at these types of ladders several years ago. One thing that I noticed at the time was the size of the steps. Some have 3" and some have 4" wide steps. That may be what the price difference is with the two that you are looking at. Incidentally the links above are the same. I could not see the Louisville ladder.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I think wild ladders are 6 feet and it costs money to shorten them.

"I love it whan a plan comes together."

Reply to
mm

Sorry, here's the Louisville ladder

Mikepier

The Lowes has a slightly wider base at 16" vs 14.75. That may make it easier to climb. Only one gives the assembled weight so you can't compare mateiral content easily. I think you'd really have to look at them in person to see if anything makes a difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Knock, knock, knock ...........

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,oooooooooooooo.ooooooooooo

(echo)

Is anybody in there?

Go look at the ladders. Compare. Look at thicknesses or materials. Length of metal bracing. Size and number of springs. Anything else that you can compare on the two ladders. Methods of attatchment. Paint grade or not? Wood or MDF (or whatever).

If you need this much help deciding between two ladders just on a comparison basis, think of the complicated drama of installation.

Really. You have two ladders that you can sit side by side and compare. I know you want someone to tell you what is best, but I think you can look at the two and pick the better one. Both companies make quality ladders. I would say Louisville tends towards products with more wood, and Werner is more towards fiberglass. Do you want a fold down, or a slide down?

Now, do I use Phillips head screws or Robertson?

You could also ask the geek there, and if you get real lucky, you might just find someone who actually knows what they're talking about, and they can help you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Same method -- trim the bottom. I used a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. I probably could just as easily used a hack saw. It was a little tricky (for me) figuirng the length and the angle for the cut. I cut it a little long for the first try, just to get it close. Then, I made the final cut so it would stay fully straightened and flat on the floor at the bottom.

Reply to
Jay-T

Both are good brands, but inspect your ladder carefully, preferably before you buy.

Reply to
Phisherman