Sticky Tiles

Friend had a neighbor handyman lay ceramic tiles (not shiny) in family room. He then put silicone on and mineral oil(??) Tiles are now sticky. What to do??

TIA

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Goo-Gone or other goop removers will clean the tiles. It's available in both squeeze bottles and spray bottles. BUT: Although it sounds wrong to me, did the handyman claim the stuff would somehow go away and lose its stickiness???

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I do not know.

Thanks for the tip

Reply to
LouB

If you think of it, ask your friend whether the handyman seems like the kind of person whose entire car interior is slathered with Armor All, to the point where it's next to impossible to get a grip on anything. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Shoot the handyman, for starters.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Just found out tiles are not ceramic. Do not know what they are. Handyman is 76.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Word association exercise:

Handyman

Instant word association should be:

No!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Probably some of that unglazed Mexican stuff that looks like drain tile, then, and he was trying to soak the surface with something that would repel water. I'd ask at the store where the tile was purchased, as to what the sealing routine is supposed to be. If they are clueless, I'd start with non-clumping kitty litter to absorb the excess, and sweep it in hard to see if it helps. Maybe do a test tile in a corner first.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Thanks

Reply to
LouB

I did a google search on 'clay tile sealing "mineral oil" '. Very interesting. Mineral oil is apparently commonly used on clay (unglazed) tile and various types of stone. I got lots of hits, but didn't read in depth. If the handyman uses mineral oil, then he probably has a good idea of how to resolve the stickiness. I would guess that putting on a heavy coat of it, letting it soak in, then wiping vigorously with a heavy rag might just do the trick. On the google search, there were references to cleaners to be used on it. Not such a hare-brained trick after all. One suggestion to try kittie litter is a bit scary - it might get embedded in the tile and turn it gray. I would not try that without advice of an expert. I'd try rubbing clean sand onto it before I'd try kittie litter. Let us know :o) If it is Mexican tile (gray or red without glaze) it is not as hard as most ceramic tile, so it needs care not to chip or crack it.

Reply to
norminn

The OP might also consider talking with his tile supplier, although I know that sounds like a nutty idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or the even nuttier idea of getting BOTH the so called handyman and a rep from the tile store in the same room to see what went wrong and have it fixed...But that's just me....

Reply to
benick

Thanks

Reply to
LouB

That's insane, and you are a communist. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:kbR0n.13168$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe17.iad:

What a hack thought :-)