Bathroom refurb

I must have got the shower room refurb pretty much ok as management would now like the bathroom sorted!

The floor is (not too even) floorboards and I'll need to lay ceramic tiles. I assume that I will need to put down something flat on which to lay them. Would that be chipboard or ply? And how thick?

Do I lay the tiles first and then install the WC and washbasin on top of them, or lay the tiles last and cut them round?

TIA.

Fit them on spacer, like a bit of MDF. When you are happy, remove them and tile underneath.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Definitely not chipboard; it turns to weetabix when wet. You need WBP (wash and boil proof) ply, 0.5 or 0.75" thick if you're putting ceramic tiles down.

Best and neater to tile first. As the other bloke said - first-fit all the sanitaryware first, then disconnect to do the tiling.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks.

That's what I wanted to do and for that very reason.

Nigel and David: got that - thanks! Just out of interest, why fix and then un-fix? Why not just lay tiles and then fix? Is it to prevent damage to the tiles as the porcelain is manoeuvred?

Yes, that, plus the fact that you're likely to be fitting pipes under the floorboards, so need access to them, and these will emerge through the floor at some point too (so you then tile round them).

David

Reply to
Lobster

And for another very good reason go and look at current thread "Mystery leak in bathroom" - I bet the poster wishes he'd waited a bit before laying his ceramic tiles... :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster