New toilet - what to bed onto?

A new toilet is to go on top of ceramic tiles. What do I put between them?

Silicone?

The previous one had mortar between it and the concrete floor.

TIA.

Silicone will do nicley,as its only to form a barrier should you miss?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ceramic pan on ceramic tiles, might "grind" a little, since the bottom of the pan is rarely completely flat, so the bedding is not just a protection against the poorly aiming man. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Saw a plumber doing a pan in the Gents at work. He stood it on 4 or 5 tile spacers (2mm ones probably) and then siliconed around the base, using enough silicone that it would have gone right through the 2mm gap and built up on the other side. I didn't see if he pulled out the spacers afterwards or cut them off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Looks like a good idea - and I'll be removing the spacers.

Thanks.

Or very[1] poor aiming woman.

Mathew

[1] aka 'piss poor' ;-)
Reply to
Mathew Newton

Worth bearing in mind - one point worth making is that the silicon is enough that you don't need to screw the pan down as well.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

After reading the last few posts some weeks ago, that is exactly what I did.

Propped it up squirted silicone under it and more down the screw holes, removed props and cleaned up excess..

Seems fine to me...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am about to install a WC onto a smooth concrete floor so this silicone method sounds good. However ther seem to be loads of 'types' of silicone (builder's, sanitary, high modulus, low modulus, general purpose, etc) so which type do you recommend?

Reply to
NotMe

A top poster.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Reply to
NotMe

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember F saying something like:

Or expanding foam.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Is WHAT a sin? You forgot to provide any trimmed context beofore your comment. Oh yes and you left a ream of untrimmed irrelevance trailing in its wake.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)