"Tall" Water Heaters are not taller?

Lowes has a big selection on Whirlpool water heaters. Some of them are called 'Tall' water heaters and some are just plain old water heaters. However, the only dimensional difference I see between the 'Tall' and 'standard' is in the diameter. What is up with that? The 'Tall' water heaters also seem to have a slightly higher energy factor (about 10% higher). I assume that's because they have more insulation (contributing to the larger diameter).....?

Any anyone shed some light on this for me?

Reply to
kevharper

perhaps the display doesnt accurately reflect the height bin some way?

new heaters are more efficent having better insulation and a slightly larger diameter

Reply to
hallerb

Are you sure they are the same capacity? A 30 gallon tall could be the same height as a 40 gallon standard but would be thinner.

(Don't get pissed... you didn't post model numbers, so we don't know what you were looking at.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I should have given more info. here are the two water heaters I was looking at:

Standard:

Tall:
Shows they are the same height...weird.

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
kevharper

Water heaters used to be commonly referred to as Standard and Short. Today, most manufacture's refer to them as Tall and Short. That's why they are the same height.

Reply to
<kjpro

If you look at your links (from your later post)... you&#39;ll see that the Tall version has 2" of insulation and the Standard unit has 1" of insulation. So the dif 22 - 20 is your insulation. This cuts down on the standby loss, which increases your efficiency a little bit.

Here&#39;s the info from my other post as to the height concern.

Quote:

"Water heaters used to be commonly referred to as Standard and Short. Today, most manufacture&#39;s refer to them as Tall and Short. That&#39;s why they are the same height."

Reply to
<kjpro

Standard:

Surprising that no one else has posted a "real" reply.

Water heaters are either "short" or "tall". Where I am, the "tall" ones are the most common. I have never seen a heater over 40 gallons that is available as a "short", so it is a little puzzling why Lowe&#39;s called the one "tall" in their info, because, to my knowledge, they don&#39;t make a 50 gallon "short".

This is probably why the 1st one you listed doesn&#39;t say short or tall.

Hope this clears things up.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Standard:

Tall:

How many 50 or 75 gallon short water heaters would you like?

Reply to
<kjpro

Yeah you&#39;re right. I should have googled it. Just because all the 50 gallon and up water heaters that I have seen are tall (standard) doesn&#39;t mean that they don&#39;t make &#39;em.

Thanks for not calling me an idiot, although I probably deserved it.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake
7:43 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@blah.com" wrote: