Plug gaps in chain-link fence

I'm gonna try as volunteer for foster of a dog rescued from a killer-pound or somesuch.

Likely a small (30-40 lb) problem dog, liable to squeeze thru gaps in my backyard chain-link fence, run like hell, take fo'ever to find 'em.

Almost everywhere a post butts up against something (a bldg., another fence, etc), there is a gap that such dog could squeeze thru.

I got a 4" gap between a post and a brick house. I could maybe get a 4x4 in there if I could secure it to the post. This part of fence belongs to a neighbor: they likely won't mind a strap or such, but I can't drill their post.

Is there anything like plumbers (metal) strapping tape but heavier: still somewhat pliable but lots stronger?

Any other ideas?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I thought that weight was medium.

Not only that, but in most or all places, you'd be liable for the damage and injuries it causes if you have a crummy fence or otherwise let it out.

Until you finish your fence, you could get a trolley with a long leash on a long line, so that he could cover most of the back yard. Maybe even to the fence so you could find out which holes he most wants to exit.

Reply to
mm

"Puddin' Man" wrote

I once had a situation like that, I put a metal fence support in the gap. You have to hammer it into the ground. They are quite sturdy.

or

Item #92063 at Lowes.

Just an idea.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

There is a clamp that attaches to a post that allows another post to be anchored to it. Made for a line post it will work on a terminal post. Here is a pic:

Sold at the BORG.

Reply to
Colbyt

replying to Puddin' Man, Robert wrote: There is a patent pending Fence End Spacer product on the market to fix the problem of a spacer remaining between an end post and a structure such as a house etc. It is available for regular galvanized and color vinyl chain link for 4ft, 5ft and 6ft. fencing for more info contact by email snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com This problem is all to common, not only does foundation footings, buried plumbing and electrical lines prevent the post from being installed closer to the house, the post would have to be installed to the side of the post hole in a manner of improper installation at best to close the gap. If you would like to view pictures of this new Fence End Spacer product just email us. Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert

I've had this spacer between my property and my neighbors since about

1986. The white fence is mine surrounding an inground pool (per code), the chain link is my neighbors. There was a 6" setback for fencing when my fence was installed, but I increased it to 8". The chain link fence post is on the property line. It was installed when my new neighbor got a dog. It is the only fencing between my property and any neighbors. Local zoning prohibits fences on separate properties be attached to each other, hence the 2'x 8" SYP spacer.
willshak