Sidewalk slab dividers

About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

Thx, Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I guess the question is why do you want to bother replacing them?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Clean out the old junk and clean the crack well; let dry. Then stuff a piece of foam backer rod (1/2 in or 5/8 diameter round foam strips usually sold by the weather stripping) into the crack, pushing it down about 1/2 inch. Run a bead of concrete colored urethane caulk on top of the rod. Leave the caulk slightly below the surface of the concrete.

Urethane caulk is great stuff. It won't last forever, but it will probably last longer than the asphalt strip did. I did this where my limestone step treads meet the brick risers. Been 5 years and it still looks good.

This will only work well if the slabs are solid and don't move around a lot.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Being as I live not on the North or South Pole, weeds grow in the spaces. I'm tired of hitting 'em with weed killer.

Also, the sharp edges could cut my dawg's paws. Also they don't look nice. Etc.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I'd just use the fiber expansion in use now. Or you could put a crack sealer in there (clear or asphalt)

Reply to
celticsoc

Use concrete caulk. If the crack is wider than 1/4" use a foam backer.

Reply to
Phisherman