Furnace blower

The blower motor for my furnace/central air sounds labored while running and there is an occasional screech. Bearings?

Thanks, Larry T. Suddarth snipped-for-privacy@cstone.net

Reply to
Larry T. Suddarth

Hmmm, Tried lubricating?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Sealed...no oil cups or ports. That was the first thing I looked for.

Reply to
Larry T. Suddarth

Hmm, Next thing is to check if the starting cap. is going South. Since they're not that expensive, just replace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Next thing is to check if the starting cap. is going South. Since they're not that expensive, just replace."

he said "labored and occasional screech"

does that sound like a starting problem ?????? why dont we throw a new thermostat and put some freon in it too while were at it oh! and dont forget to wash the coils too ,

you dont make anymore sense here than you do over in alt.hvac

Note to OP, yes it sounds like bearings , direct drive i assume since you said it has no oil ports ,

The Freon Cowboy

That, or belt, or both.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

Direct drive or belt drive? If the latter take off the belt and check the blower for free turning. If the bearings are bad there are standard replacements that are easily done. For direct drive there are severasl online sources for whatever new component you need. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hmmm, Things in electric/electronics can act intermittent B4 it fail solid.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Starting cap? Why would a residential air handler be equiped with a start capacitor? A standard squirrel cage blower motor usually has only a run capacitor. The newer high tech units have a very expensive variable speed motor.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

Wouldn't hurt to mention age of unit ...

Check for oil aperture on motor. Oil if found.

Some of the older "non-oilable" blower motors were oilable. I nursed my old Carrier (actually a Bryant) for 20 years.

Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!" -Friedrich Schiller

Reply to
Puddin' Man

I can GUARANTEE you, it aint the starting capacitor ,

IDIOT !!!!!!

The Freon Cowboy