Spiral staircase repair

A rod holding the handrail to the center of a spiral staircase broke. It seems to be aluminum (it is not magnetic, so not iron or steel). Is there any way to fix it other than getting a welder?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Does the rod appear to be structural or decorative?

If it's decorative, some clear silicon adhesive might do the trick, if you could apply it and smooth it in a neat manner.

If it's structural, then it's kind of hard to make any suggestions since I'm having trouble seeing the staircase from where I'm sitting. Maybe it's the lighting.

Have you considered uploading a picture and providing a link so we can see what's going on?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is structural. It is necessary to hold the handrail to the central shaft.

I can do that in a few days.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Well, it could be stainless or other non-ferromagnetic alloy altho Al alloy may be a good bet...

Other than a hack of drilling and attaching a clamp or bracket or somesuch I'd reckon probably not.

As another poster said, pictures would be good...

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around a handrail attached to the center. I keep going 'round and 'round and not getting anywhere.

I, too, would like to see a picture - other than one done by Escher.

Reply to
HeyBub

epoxy paste? ----------- paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Here is a photo of the spiral stairs, but it doesn't show the break. There are rods about a half inch in diameter that connect the handrail to the center column. (you can see one if you look closely) One of them is broken.

Jan Philips

I should have said that it is the handrail that is close to the center shaft, not the one on the outside.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Obviously need a closeup to tell anything useful, particularly showing the actual break but...looks like welded construction in all likelihood and not much else to be done.

--

Reply to
dpb

OK, so why wouldn't you post a picture of the break? Isn't that what you want us to suggest fixes for?

If I posted a picture of the left side of my car and asked you how to fix the dent on the right side, would you be able to help?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Agreed, the photo waas useless.

Reply to
hrhofmann

AND

Well it is some kind of metal obviously...

So look in the yellow pages for a local welder/welding company and have them give you a quote on fixing it...

Aluminum can be arc welded with special welding sticks or MIG welded... Stainless steel can be MIG welded... I doubt that your handrail is stainless steel given the way it is painted, it is most likely made out of the same metal that the diamond plate stair treads are constructed from... You said it is non-ferrous which would indicate towards aluminum...

For this to be repaired by welding the paint will have to be removed from the area to be repaired -- can't weld through paint -- and an area where the welder will be grounded to the staircase to complete the circuit...

Either way this is NOT a DIY project if you are NOT an experienced welder...

Let your fingers do the walking on this one...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Because I don't have such a photo and I can't get one for several days. People were questioning how the handrail could be connected to the central shaft. At least it shows that.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Nothing I can fix myself.

Reply to
Jan Philips

As the Flikr info shows - this photo was taken last December. It wasn't broken then. I discovered the break only yesterday.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Okay, now it makes sense. Yeah, you could kludge up a repair, but you shouldn't. Any repair should match the as-built fastening method, because if your repair fails and somebody falls and busts their head on those pretty-but-inherently-dangerous steps, guess what the insurance company is gonna say? Local stair-and-fire-escape company, probably the same one that put them in in the first place, is who to call. I would not drill into the vertical post- aside from any immediate weakening, it is a spot for internal rust to start. As a hillbilly temporary repair until you can get somebody out there, some big hose clamps and strapping will stiffen up the floppy part of the rail.

Reply to
aemeijers

I have things welded from time to time by a local welder and his prices are

*very* reasonable. Sometimes he only charges $10 or $5.

Of course if he had to come to my home, it would be a lot more. But I would think it would be not too much.

Reply to
Bill

Here are two photos showing the break in the rod:

Jan Philips

I'd call a spiral staircase expert.

Something may be putting stress on the joints and causing the crack. That's quite a gap.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Someone leans quite heavily on the handrail...

I wouldn't see any need for calling in a "spiral staircase" expert...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan