Garage concrete stem wall / sill question....? spalling?

OK, first, I am not trying to channel "Charles"....

Needed to replace the "sweep" on the door from the garage to the back yard. Old "rubber" (?) died of "old age".

There I am down flat on floor, unscrew old frame for sweep; use it to measure new sweep frame. No issues, screw new sweep on. Fine.

But....while I am down on floor unscrewing and screwing, notice that on both sides of door, left and right, beyond the door casing, the concrete of the about 2 inch high footing / stem wall , is like "chewed" away. The sill plate on top of the footing is fine and goes all the way to the paired 2 x 4 studs on each side of the door opening.

But that raised concrete whatever, which is about 4 inches above the garage slab, is for about 2 inches on the inside of the garage sort of "chewed" away, and as you look out you can't see daylight, but as you explore the "hole", its wider on the garage inside and narrower as you get to the outside. Sort of like a cone, an ice cream cone, with the "pointy" side out.

Air is blowing in the "cones" on each side.

On one side of door, found two pieces of concrete chunks, about 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch.

Looked at the entire perimeter of the garage. Only place this exists is right around the door frame.

House built in 1968, I am third owner, lived here since 1980.

No, no parks, no public parking, no vandals (sorry Charlie), and I almost don't care how it was made.

I would like suggestions on what to patch it with.

TIA.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

On Jun 5, 1:32 am, jJim McLaughlin wrote: ...

Assuming reasonable access, vinyl patching cement mix would be my choice...

Reply to
dpb

Access is no problem, both from inside the garage and outside the garage.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin