It's YOU that's charged up my friend. The stuff you are touching is all
grounded, and you are discharging a static electric charge on your body when you
get close enough for a spark to jump between you and them.
If you're walking awound on carpets and rugs, it's pretty hard to keep from
getting charged up when the air is dry. You might try wearing different shoes,
or just walking around in socks.
If you have bare floors, there are anti-static floor coatings which can help,
but you might have to wear conductive footwear for maximum effectiveness.
If you can train yourself to do it, you can minimize the "shock" effect by
firmly holding a metal object like a spoon or fork and touching that to the
Be carefull around electronics, some of them are not an static resistant as
you'd like them to be and you can end up blowing stuff out by sparking to it.
Do a google search for "anti-static", you'll find tons of info.
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
Click to see the full signature.