Floor sockets

I want to install sockets in the floorboards in our living room. It is approximately 7x6 metres and has three sofas in a U arrangement more or less in the middle. There are square tables at the corners of the U. The idea is to have a 2-gang 13A socket with USB connectors under each table. They would be about 2m from the nearest wall.
Are hinged covers necessary, bearing in mind that they will be under tables? The problem is that I can’t find with such sockets with USB. I’d have to have a third 1G for plugging a charger into.
If they need to be covered, would a box be a better idea? I could then use ‘ordinary’ 13A sockets. Unsightly (although under the tables) and quite a bit more expensive, plus big cutouts spanning the floorboards.
Another option would be flat plate sockets in a shallow recess, to make them flush with the floor.
Would back boxes be required? This is the ground floor, with only about 30 cm of space under the floorboards.
--
Peter

On Sunday, 15 October 2017 12:28:54 UTC+1, Ramsman wrote:

You might get away without hinged covers in a domestic setting.
Back boxes will always be required.
If you want hinged covers on the 13A sockets, you can get USB charging sockets on a faceplate without an associated 13A socket eg https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FPQUADBC.html
or something like this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBSK003.html
which as it comes with a 13A plug may require connecting via a fused connection unit to a socket circuit.
Owain
On 15/10/2017 12:45, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Thanks for the response Owain. I'd seen both of those, but they're not quite what I'm looking for.
--
Peter

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:47:45 +0100

http://cpc.farnell.com/click/fs312ss/2g-quad-aperture-floor-socket/dp/PL14856
Any use?
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 04:45:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I would not fancy this whatsoever. What if the furniture moves, you move, you need a new carpet, somebody goes mad with the vacuum cleaner etc?
Anyway I thought sockets were supposed to be 1 metre above floor level for disability regulations.
On 15/10/2017 14:03, Scott wrote:

No carpet. It's varnished floorboards in a barn conversion. Highly unlikely that the furniture layout will change, and we plan to stay here forever. Anyway, they can always be removed and the floor restored.

Floor sockets are permitted.
--
Peter

You could arrange them a few cm deep, with a well-fitting plug of floor material to cover them when or if not in use.
--

Roger Hayter

On 15/10/2017 19:47, Roger Hayter wrote:

Now that's what I call a good idea. Thanks! We're planning to have the entire floor (and others) renovated anyway, so I can work something out before that happens.
--
Peter

Would be very interesting if ever the property flooded I'd imagine.
Brian
--
----- -
On Monday, 16 October 2017 08:51:38 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or if you get an incontinent puppy (that may be a tautology)
Owain

I doubt that would have any effect at all given the wooden floor even if the covers were open due to at least one cord plugged in and the other not with anything plugged in.
On Monday, 16 October 2017 11:06:16 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

why don't you try an experiment. Pretend you're the puppy.

Don’t need to, I know nothing would happen. There is no path for current to flow.

On Monday, 16 October 2017 22:08:28 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

Nahh, you're hopelessly wrong.

Easy to claim.
Have fun spelling out where the current would flow with a wooden floor, you pathetic excuse for a bullshit artist.
On Tuesday, 17 October 2017 06:05:23 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:

ne.

Video it for us. You're the perfect candidate for this darwin award.

You never could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.
On 16/10/2017 08:51, Brian Gaff wrote:

Indeed it would. The cables from the CU already run under the floor.
The nearest watercourse is a deep ditch about 100m away. Fed by springs in the hills south of the village, and we're some way away from and above the nearest flood hazard according to the Environment Agency.
--
Peter

On 16/10/2017 10:36, Ramsman wrote:

And of course the floorboards are waterproof and will not get damaged:-)
So IMHO a few floor sockets would be the least of your problems should you have a flood.
The local Scout Hut sockets are now above the last flood level. The floor will still be ruined if it floods again.
--
Adam

On 16/10/2017 10:36, Ramsman wrote:

Won't matter. It's only when the cut ends get wet that interesting things happen.
I hope you'd turn off the power before you get in the boat to leave :)
Seriously though - it might save a fire to add to the flood.
Andy