European Floor Sockets?

I suspect that the 5 amp round pin floor socket for my lighting circuit doesn't exist.

Would it be feasible to use a 230 volt socket from the continent, or better to use a standard rectangular pin socket and a big label that says 'lighting only'.

Would fitting a continental socket be worse than using a standard 13 amp - regulations wise?

If I can find a continental style floor socket, are the metal boxes which the sockets screw to the same there and here, or would I be looking at importing a full set?

Regards

Phil

Reply to
Philip Roberts

I thought the euro sockets were rated for 16A, so technically require a supply to match? The same could be said for UK 13A sockets with non-standard earth pins, the supply should be up to scratch.

I can certainly see what you are trying to achieve, but it may be worth taking the simple approach. As you will be going to a fair amount of effort by fitting floor sockets anyway, why not use 13A sockets, 2.5mm cable and appropriate switching? Then anyone could put in fan heaters if they wished. It may also save any future surveyors commenting on unusual electrical installation.

Your dimming requirements could be met by in-cable dimmers on the lampstands.

Reply to
Toby

To be honest, I'm not sure just how much good the cover on those floor sockets actually is. And given that they're for lamps, won't they be in use most of the time? Perhaps there's a suitable 'flat plate' 2 or 5 amp available somewhere?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Are you using MK/Ackermann stuff?

You can get blanking plates for the floor boxes, which may be amenable to a little modification. If you can't find a suitable panel insert for BS546 5A, I'm sure there are a myriad of suitable panel mounted 5A 230V connectors to choose from that won't cause people to leap into fan heater action. A shuttered IEC socket outlet might do the trick, for example. (i.e. RS

489-245).

Unfortunately, the floor boxes are quite large if you are looking for a single outlet. In which case, an GR5050 accessory grommet outlet box might be an idea. This comes with a 50mm Euro frame cutout (for RJ45 modules and similar). So you would need to find a full width blanking plate to modify, or a suitable power outlet module in this format.

However, I'd probably just go with the keyed plug solution myself. These are easy to get hold of in small "grommet" format, and should be sufficient to overcome the possibility of someone doing the fan heater thing. In any case, it would only blow the MCB, not cause a fire. Clearly labelled "lighting only" as well, I can't see it being a problem.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thank you (and others) for your suggestions, the lighting circuit is going to be connected to a lutron dimming system which complicates things a little on the supply side - but if someon tries to plug in a hoover I don't think that any damage will occur to anything.

Just after posting I had to go to the continent (at very short notice) and got a reminder of their plugs (nasty) and the standard of wiring that they think is acceptable (v nasty)

On my return to the UK the 13A standard floor sockets had arrived - looking at them, I don't think that it will be too difficult to devise a matching cover to go on top of a standard flat top 5A unit.

My options on the cabling side are limited, because the cable has been laid and UFH plus a screed laid on top. The moral of the story is not to assume that an item will exist when required at a key part of a project, but to check in advance.

Regards

Phil

Reply to
Philip Roberts