FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Tidying(ish) the loft I came across a very nice NAD FM stereo tuner.
Put into storage during a house move and never taken out again; I don't even have an FM aerial although IIRC I have previously had one since the 1970s.
If I want to listen to the radio at home then I can use the Internet (e.g. iPlayer) or for many radio stations I can use FreeSat or FreeView.
So is there any real use for a stereo FM tuner any more apart from in a car? Perhaps also when you are camping without a mobile phone signal or a TV signal?
Nice pit of kit, but udder on a bull?
Cheers
Dave R

As I found earlier this week, the router goes down.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 14/10/2017 19:10, charles wrote:

Only for a few more years? Norway has already gone DAB.
I still use a superb Sony which I bought in the early 70's.

I use a Tandberg TR1010 stereo receiver (circa 1972), had to replace the output electrolytics a few years ago.
On 15/10/2017 08:39, Phi wrote:

I had an AIWA AX7400 which was brilliant. I bought it in 1978 after buying my first house and went out to buy a bed one weekend and came back with this Tuner-Amp, and then slept on a mattress on the floor for a few more years.
Getting rid of it in 2006 in favour of an Onky CR515DAB was a mistake. The Onkyo works fine, apart from DAB which is rubbish here in West Sussex, so I am listening to Classic FM on FM right now - perfect.
On 14/10/2017 19:07, David wrote:

It does what is does. Receives FM radio, providing you have an aerial up to the job. Freeview requires a proper TV aerial and usually a TV set, though there used to be Freeview "set top" boxes with audio output which could be connected to an audio system. DAB is OK, if you have a DAB radio and good enough reception. Who needs 100s of Internet radio stations?
And there's a place for stand alone FM transistor radios, such as bedroom, kitchen or workshop/garage.
--
Max Demian

On 14/10/2017 19:39, Max Demian wrote:

If and when FM is turned off, the big losses will be for drivers whose cars aren't fitted with DAB (and a replacement may well not look at all right in the dash) and stand-alone radios (that are perfect for DIY work, 'cos they'll work for months on one set of batteries.
SteveW
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:46:59 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Shhh, that idea seems to have been quietly forgotten about or is under a D Notice. Also it was only the nationals that would go to make room for lot's of new local stations. Local stations that are hideously difficult to make profitable...

Even if the car has DAB it needs a DAB signal... Very patchy around a here with the patches of signal being rather small and well spaced so useless for actually listening to that radio. Even when in coverage there is something "not quite right" and it becomes wearing to listen too for more than about 1/2 and hour.
Internet streams vary for bloomimg good to yuk... Having the telly on consuming lots of power just to "listen to the radio" seems a bit extravagant. Bet that NAD tuner is very frugal in comparison.
--
Cheers
Dave.

We use the freeview signal a lot as FM reception around here isn't that good, our TV allows you to turn the screen off completely so I would not think there is that much in it.
G Harman
On 16/10/2017 00:28, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

It's neither 'ere nor there in the grand scheme of things, anyway. I just don't worry about that sort of thing. I think one thing that goes wrong in people's heads when they retire is that they start to worry about tiny things, so I resist it.
Bill

Definitely +1, but resistance is futile.
--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com
On 16/10/2017 03:45, Bill Wright wrote:

If your hearing dulls, as it does with age, the source of your hi-fi won't make any difference anyway. You'll have lost the 'hi'.
On 16/10/2017 08:53, Norman Wells wrote:

When I was (much) younger I was lucky enough to live near pubs that had live musical acts, and if I wanted to watch the performers I had to get close enough to them that I was very close to their loudspeakers. It was quite common to lay in bed afterwards with a whistle in my ears, though luckily by the time I had woken up in the morning my hearing seemed back to normal.
I am not anywhere near deaf in my retirement, but you are spot on with the prediction that I have lost some of the 'hi'. I can hear it, but probably not at a comparative volume to the bass.
Jim

Sadly true. Now I can afford the QUAD ELS's that I've lusted after all my life, there's no point in buying them.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 70th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't be able to afford the ELSs.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 16/10/2017 10:27, charles wrote:

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.
Bill

possibly, but I was told they couldn't help me.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

You have to be firmer, They probably could if they wanted to. And insist on bilateral!
--

Roger Hayter

On 16/10/2017 12:01, charles wrote:

I'm sceptical of the whole industry. But what could be special about your lug holes that could defeat the NHS yet be fixable by a private firm, when it only comes down to frequency response after all?
Bill

possibly, but I don't know for certain, because I have a 60db notch at 4.5kHz in both ears.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England