FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

Sadly true. Now I can afford the QUAD ELS's that I've lusted after all my life, there's no point in buying them.

Reply to
Huge

You could always get hearing aids, but having bought them you wouldn't be able to afford the ELSs.

Reply to
charles

That sounds a lot of faff compared to simply selecting the tuner on your amp.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd guess most already have a TV aerial, and already fed to several rooms in the house. Not many bother doing the same with FM or DAB.

Snag with using a FreeView STB audio only is they don't tend to have a display, so you have to rely on the remote to get the channel you want.

But it's what I mainly use. Many radio listeners stick to the same channel all the time anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And, of course, if just the telly, using it for what it does worst. Sound. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The NHS digital ones are as good as any.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

All our tellys except one have external audio amps and speakers. Intolerable otherwise.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

possibly, but I was told they couldn't help me.

Reply to
charles

The private ones have smaller less visible footprint but the free NHS digital ones now are impressively good if correctly fitted and tuned up.

Reply to
Martin Brown

You have to be firmer, They probably could if they wanted to. And insist on bilateral!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

They are but they will only provide one and you cannot buy a second.

My wife has a condition affecting her hearing (frequency selective) and balance and the consultant said she needed two aids but the NHS would not comply, one or nowt.

Reply to
Woody

I'm sceptical of the whole industry. But what could be special about your lug holes that could defeat the NHS yet be fixable by a private firm, when it only comes down to frequency response after all?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Given the size of them, I am pleasantly surprised at the Tv sound quality.

As you get older you realise the technology is outperforming your ears massively.

And its getting pointless to invest in serious hi fi

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That depends on yer' telly. Our 42" plasma consumes a fair bit of juice (290 W on the plate). It has a "radio" mode that blanks the screen but I'm not totally convinced it powers down the heaters etc. And it has to be tuned to an off-air "radio" station for it to kick in, you can't manually kick it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That isn't correct unless it is a postcode lottery.

My father definitely had a pair on the NHS as he was profoundly deaf - from having spent WWII at firing position on anti-aircraft guns.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Last two cars I've had had DAB. Which I used for about 5 minutes, before it just died.

Bugger that, still use FM. When that goes, so will listening to radio in the car unless DAB is improved radically.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Clearly you live in an area where DAB has not been discovered yet?

Reply to
Woody

Not sure. My wife is not badly deaf - she has Menieres Disease which causes frequency selective deafness and gradually gets worse over time. She started with this about a decade or so ago and it has not been too bad, but both I and son have noticed over the last year that things do seem to be getting gradually worse.

MD also causes serious balance issues. As balance is affected by auditory indicators the consultant said she should have two hearing aids to maintain auditory sensing, but the NHS said because she is not profoundly deaf she only qualifies for one aid. When asked if we could buy the other the answer was no unless she paid full price for them both, and as she would be paying then any treatment associated with them would also be chargeable.

That's life I suppose.

Reply to
Woody

Yes, the M5 between Walsall and Worcester. Well known radio black spot ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm sure the cassette player in mine will still work.

Reply to
Norman Wells