FM stereo tuners - Xpost (OTish)

There must be something special about that frequency. Don't they generate it to help people with tinnitus, or something?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you comparing like with like? Do you have a good DAB aerial and a good tuner?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you sure you're called Eager and not Egen?

Oh and if it was tuned it would be a filter not an attenuator.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Don't let a few years of age put of those:)

Reply to
tony sayer

Depends which bit of Ofcom you read there is no plan to switch FM totally off.

Main reason they can't sell the FM band to anyone!

Reply to
tony sayer

Well, I guess it was a notch filter then. It attenuated at one frequency (roughly).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite. It's not the top couple of octaves that make a decent speaker anyway - as they are easy to reproduce. It's the other 7 more likely to tell a good from bad one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In very high field strength areas a snag can occur when attenuating (by attenuator or filter) an over-strong signal on the downlead. If there's much pick-up after the attenuator (the internal screening of some TV sets is poor) the signal from that might be of comparable strength to the output of the attenuator. If there's no significant difference in path length between the two the result might be a steep notch in the response caused by the phase relationship leading to cancellation. If there is significant difference the result with analogue used to be close ghosting on one side or the other. For digital reception the result was likely to be worsened BER.

Did you get my clever 'Egen' joke?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This was long ago and analogue. All I can say is that it worked. I used it for some years before we got a better telly!

Yes. I used to work in an electronics shop, too...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's all that matters.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Was told that by a man from Ofcom a while ago, seems that most all DAB receivers have very wide band and wide open front ends so a more power full local MUX can cause problems with less powerful ones in terms of field strength...

Reply to
tony sayer

In the bad olde days of 405 line telly we used to rig a single dipole for BBC 1, 405 line channel 2 in the days when the Cambridge gasworks transmitter was in use and either a 8 element on Mendelsham channel 11 or a five element on Sandy heath Chanel 6

Almost anywhere in town the cable was taken from the band 3 aerial through an empty diplexer box to the TV the cable from the band 1 aerial was in place but left unconnected at either end. This was to save the cost of a diplexer and the cost of an attenuator as overloading was a problem in some parts.

Amazingly the band 3 receiver aerial worked very well at band 1 frequencies!. All channels in band 1 and 3 were horizontally polarized.

Reply to
tony sayer

Where I grew up in South Wales, the Wenvoe transmitter was in clear view about 2 miles away, but we never had any problems, unless you wanted to watch English programs and needed a 2nd aeriel pointing at the Mendips.

Reply to
Andrew

Like West Sussex south of Billinghurst.

Reply to