OT: Ophelia

Just a placeholder for any information about the storm, should it be of use or interest.

Elsewhere, yellow and pink skies, wind picking up a little in the south west, ireland braced for v heavy rain and hurricane force gusts. but SE england should get no more than a stiff gale. And some quite heavy rain, as we are in te SE quadrant.

I will be intersted to see what happens to scottish windpower and placing bets on how many turbines topple. Sadly not nearly enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

very odd to have warm gusts of wind here.

Was driving home at 2am this morning, lots of complaints from ireland/n.ireland/wales on a radio phone in that they'd only learnt after midnight that schools were going to be closed for the day.

Yesterday looked a pretty good day for the windfarms (apart from the obligatory "stopped" ones).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just looked here. Suffolk. VERY milky tea. It's gone from sunny to a dead flat 10/10 overcast.

15 miles away Mildenhall airbase reports no cloud at all. 1012mb pressure wind light 23 C wind south, 15mph

Cripes the air is warm Just looked here. Suffolk. VERY milky tea. It's gone from sunny to a dead flat 10/10 overcast.

15 miles away Mildenhall airbase reports no cloud at all. 1012mb pressure wind light 23 C wind south, 15mph

Cripes the air is warm

Wind output good. The real heavy winds haven't hit yet

Wind output good, but look at the huge uncertainties

yesterday 6.8GW forecast, actual 4GW...'two of our nukes have gone missing, oh noes,, the wind just dropped undexpectedly'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And I was going to try and mow the very long grass this afternoon. I think that might not work now.

I'm further away than that, and it is here as you describe for your sky. I think Mildenhall must have moved somewhere else!

Reply to
Davey

No the clouds are whizzing by, the red/pink sun is out again here, a very changeable day ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The Natural Philosopher explained on 16/10/2017 :

T shirt weather here in on the N/W Yorks border with as you say a yellow /pink sky. No rain and no wind at all yet.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Here in North Hants, it's a kind of dark orange outside (my photcell lights have come on). I'm guessing the cloud is thick enough to be letting through almost no sunlight, but is also high enough that the bottom is being lit by its view of the horizon. Can't think how else it's gone orange outside. My 4000k outside lights look blue compared with the daylight at the moment.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

ah. Its just gone to 'broken cloud at 2:56pm..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's weak sun in a weak tea sky here. Temperature fallen a dgeree

One fatality already

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :

As you were - we now have full sun and a pale blue sky, with an occasional wispy cloud at very high level. Those clouds are moving at quite a speed, but still no wind at ground level.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I posted this 10 days ago, please keep up at the back!

Reply to
swldxer1958

Been an O.K. day so far here in coastal Suffolk.

The light is failing now and the temperature has dropped a bit but the outside thermometer is still showing 19C.

Not a lot of wind either, and the radar isn't showing any rain due.

So a strong vote for living in East Anglia where the bad things (usually) can't get you.

Noted that we did take a big pasting in the "hurricane" 30 years ago.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

No rain all day, wind gusts picking up now, good job the council gave the trees down the street a fierce cutting back a few weeks ago ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It apparently went very black a couple of hours back here in sw london and its been raining very windy, but only to be expected really with such a storm in the vicinity. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Poor light stopped play here in my garden at 15.30. Any excuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

bloody chain saws .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Apparently the air mass contains a lot of Sarahan dust and smoke/ash from wild fires in Portugal and Spain. Very peculiar yellowy/green light here first thing and red sun when it was trying to break through the cloud midday ish. Afternoon bright and sunny 24 mins of Solar thermal warmed the bottom of the store by a few degrees.

It's been getting windy since midday and is now more or less an F9 Severe Gale, sustained mid to upper 40's mph, gusting mid 50's with occasional 60 mph.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Once again life is easier for those in the South East....

Reply to
newshound

We drove the length of Portugal a couple of weeks back. The fires all seemed to be long dead.

******! We drove through there!

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Apparently the whiff was sucked into the cockpit and caused several flights to make forced landings

Reply to
Andy Burns