How to paint radiator covers

Knowing some of the replies to this query are old now, nonetheless they made for interesting reading but did nothing to help solve the initial question. Have installed a radiator cover before but going to install another one but will probably give this one a coat of paint so looking for best method being as the grille will be patterned. Someone suggested that they thought the covers looked ugly! You're kidding! Compared to an ugly looking metal radiator , don't think there's much imagination there! I'm looking at this from a female point of view so please no sexist remarks, no matter how funny you think might be. So in the end the answers weren't of any help so probably go a for a ready painted one ? __________

Reply to
Eileen HARLOW

There are plenty of radiators out there that look a lot better than the standard radiator. Some of them aren't even that much more expensive, e.g.:

Nightjar

Whatever replies you refer to don't exist for the rest of us. Spraying avoids brush marks, but of course the spray gets everywhere. A rol ler also avoids brush marks, but tends to spray fine splatter. Or brush it. Or... whatever you like.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've had good results using paint pads.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not having seen the old post and obviously not seen any pictures. Some of those vents covered by a mesh used to be quite good at accepting car spray paint, the cellulose kind that makes you get high! I did this on an old valve amplifier cover over ten years ago where the old paint was going patchy and blotchy. a quick degrease and a gentle wash and sprayed it on. Mind you do it outside wearing old clothes! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Can't you paint a normal radiator a colour of your choice and conceal the pipework as some sort of happy compromise? I'd imagine those covers cut down the convection (and radiation) considerably.

A friend installed one of those (or similar) - quite rubbish output compared to a similarly sized panel with fins.

And to my eye, they just look ridiculous :-)

Reply to
RJH

replying to Eileen HARLOW, Iggy wrote: I've had no problems with regular Enamel Spray Paints (semi or high-gloss) lasting perfectly for decades on the Metal hat or shelf radiator toppers nor the full enclosure metal grills and radiators themselves. On the wood cabinet full enclosure types with side shelves or cabinets, rolled-on run of the mill latex primer and paint (semi-gloss) has survived for 20-years so far with no signs of failure anywhere. Has stood up to many vacuum bumps, flower pot leaks, candle spills and scrubbings.

Reply to
Iggy

We had one - it meant we had a handy, and not too hot, shelf in the hall.

Big vents in the base, big vents under the shelf, and it acted like a chimney. Output was _up_ if anything.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, I can see that, and is something I mean to do for a couple of rads

- but just the shelf.

Ah OK, I can see why a properly designed one might. Just to my eye, the exhaust on this type of thing looks to be restricted:

Reply to
RJH

Link didn't work - but the search hit it. The top vents does look pretty small.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris