Subject Author Posted Replies

Boiler update - Insurance or replacement
Valliant engineer has just been and it looks like my £300 D&G insurance gamble has paid off. He replaced the pump, replaced the stuck diverter valve and it didn't make any difference, no flow from...

OT _ Hosting a Video
I have uploaded a few "unlisted" videos on Youtube, but a mate is asking me about how to enable his Institute to upload videos of lectures that could be of about 90 minutes duration - so that members...
15
15

OT Non DIY
I have become of an age where I can no longer perform even the easiest of DIY jobs, apart from finding it extremely frustrating it has become almost impossible to get these jobs done by a...
11
11

iPad 2
Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while. Can't really be a relation as had no backups...
51
51

Shower trap terminology help please
Looking for a new trap for a shower tray with a 50mm diameter waste and 90mm clearance underneath, and am a little confused? For example: - I assume that "water seal" is the distance from the top of...

OT nuclear power in UK
No experience of Korean nuclear engineering myself, but I was talking to a senior manager from Horizon the other day, and he said that of all the overseas suppliers had had been dealing with, he had...
23
23

OT Charity ~TV ads
There are many that of a system whereby you make a telephone call then they automatically snag money from you. Now some of them seem very deserving, but I would dearly love to know how much of that...
8
8

Copper is an aquatic hazard?
I got a package today with the "dead tree & fish" label on it & a 13-page safety data sheet inside. It turns out that desoldering braid is so labelled because copper is "aquatic acute 1, H400" and...
17
17

OT: North Mid Hosp, PCN?
Hi all, We recently attended North Middlesex Hospital four times and today received a PCN from the last two visits but one (so 'so far'). ;-( One states we were there for 61 minutes and the other, 32...
83
83

Are mains plugs ...
... dishwasher proof? Like many of us, I have a big box of 13A mains plugs I've accumulated over the years. Most of them are pretty grubby. If I use one and it's going somewhere that matters, I clean...
51
51

Wiki files
Might not be a bad idea to allow mp4 files there, it can't currently upload a 1M media file. Still photos don't really get the message across in this case. NT
2
2

[OT but only a bit] Gas buggered
Households and motorists have been warned to expect sharp rises in gas bills and petrol prices after a “perfect storm” of supply problems as the winter freeze begins.
20
20

OT: Broadband problems
Hi all. So, I don't think there is anything I can DIY about the issue I'm having, but I'll ask anyway ;) As of last Thursday my internet access has gone from a really solid 37Mbps down to unusable at...
21
21

Heating system motorised valve questions
Central heating playing up so I've been checking the valves. Two questions.: 1. The central heating circuit is controlled by a 2-port Danfoss valve. I replaced the motor head a couple of years ago....
9
9

Replacement for NetaHeat80 LPG - recommendations?
Our venerable NetHeat 80E just went bang (literally!). I've been thinking it needs replacing anyway so this just confirms that decision. What do the team recommend as a replacement? Reliability when...