OT nuclear power in UK

No experience of Korean nuclear engineering myself, but I was talking to a senior manager from Horizon the other day, and he said that of all the overseas suppliers had had been dealing with, he had been most impressed by the Koreans.

Reply to
newshound

newshound wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

I prefer this approach. Factory built - standardised...............

reactors.aspx

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There's a lot to be said for it. But you really need to get international agreement on licensing. Imagine if every country had a different approach to regulating aircraft.

It will be interesting to see if the government funding for SMRs actually leads to anything. One of the problems is that SMRs could be really good for smaller and developing countries, but it's only a few large industrialised countries which are building nuclear plants, and then the economies of scale of larger plant kick in. South Africa started making a good case for the PBMR nearly 20 years ago, but it got nowhere.

newshound

Doesn't The North seem to have more experience in the field than The South?

Reply to
Jim Chisholm

In article , DerbyBorn writes

I don't really care which approach they take just as long as they get on with it and build some nukes without yet another "review".

Reply to
bert

I think they do

I am sure there are some planes that cannot land in certain countries.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
Chris Hogg

It is working towards exporting nukes to other countries - via same-day delivery.

Reply to
PeterC

On an allied front, does anyone know about all this legal wrangling in Japan about whether they will restart their nuclear reactors or not?I heard it on a foreign station yesterday. It seems there is disagreement about the safety of them after the problems encountered when they got the tsunami, even though steps have been taken to protect the control systems now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
newshound

:-)

But how many North Korean products do you currently have in your home?

Reply to
newshound

The chilling thought is that NOBODY KNOWS

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Something the UK has decided to make much harder by leaving EURATOM.

We didn't really want nuclear power anyway. And radiotherapy is probably overrated too.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Our students find this sort of thing confusing they ask me to order somethi ng from amazon that says next day despatch and can;t work out why the follo wing morning it hasn't arrived from china and expect us to pay for amazon p rime or an express delivery service.

Reply to
whisky-dave

How many tee shirts and the like do you have? Its only in the last few weeks that China has agreed not to put made in China labels in North Korean produce clothing.

Reply to
dennis

Slightly related is the urge I get to punch people in the face (looks at local MP) whose immediate response to my complaint about unavailability of is to Google and then screenshot the results with the response "there are loads of them".

Yeah. Right up to the point where you try to ACTUALLY order .

(See also "cars from £9.99" adverts).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Foirstofallwe probabl;y wont leave Euratom, but if we did nuxlear power is EASIER. Less regulation, more safety.

Speak for yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Using super-drones.

Reply to
bert

OK clothing maybe, but I don't for a minute believe they are producing any significant tech for the world market.

In Soviet days, the USSR was proud of getting quite decent optics into the west as a way of getting foreign exchange. And the odd radio and TV. In fact my own first TV, in the early 70's, was a six inch B&W which ran on mains or 12 volts.

Reply to
newshound

I had an early Sekonda watch in the 60s - pretty crap. They also wanted to pay for computers with Xmas cards!!.

Reply to
bert