OT Charity ~TV ads

There are many that of a system whereby you make a telephone call then they automatically snag money from you. Now some of them seem very deserving, but I would dearly love to know how much of that money goes to the nominated cause. Not much I would think, as they have the adverts to pay for as well as salaries of well paid executives. I believe that the law should force them to declare how much actually goes into the fund.

Reply to
Broadback

It does. Every charity has to prepare annual accounts and to make them available on request.

You can check what percentage of income any given charity spends on the cause here:

Nightjar

Maybe you can find out from the websites acciosaited with the charity.

The TV channel might give specail, rates to charioties or they might be able to claim it back on or against tax. AS for excutives it would depend how much they get, but if yuo;re organising large sums of money and peolpe you do need someone that knows about such things, I doubt those that work in the local oxfam would be able to do those jobs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Broadback submitted this idea :

My own favourite point of contention. Save the jaguar, save the donkey, save the elephant. One even had the cheek to ask you to text some ridiculous amount to them. £199 I think it was. Hundreds of spurious seeming charities seeking money, like you I would like to see their accounts.

Then there are the door to door chuggers pestering for money, professional chuggers and much of what you might pay will be claimed by them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

However that doesn't show how much the charity gets from particular fundraising streams after the cost of fundraising.

It's been discussed before that street direct debit chugging may not get the charity any money in the first year or worse, and the lotteries run by external lottery organisers might only pay the charity 20% of the ticket take.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And the fluffy toys and or the information they give you about your polar bear or whatever. I personally find most of those commercials appear on the cheaper to advertise channels and more during the day when granny is watching feeling sorry for the cuddly tigers. The famine and need of drinking water for humans appear at tea time to help you feel guilty, and most of the rest seem to be any time.

To be honest if you could be sure the gov matched what you sent, then fine but I've had cause to donate to one of the get drinking water to African villages ones in the past them what happens? These people move on and the water stays where it was and then they have no water again. No joined up thinking wastes money. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

But a lot of money is collected by third parties who pass on very little to the charities. Charities may report how much they spend in their own fund raising but it doesn't necessarily tell you that the £5 they received from a third party company ABC is a result of the public giving £1 million.

Again this doesn't necessarily give any indication of the spend related to the money the public thought they were giving to the charity but was in fact spirited away before the charities actually received it. It doesn't necessarily show how much is spirited away by corruption in the countries receiving the funds.

Reply to
alan_m

I knew the chief accountant of one of the large charities that uses third party collectors. He told me that, while some of the money does go to the third party, the charity would have had to pay out more to get the same amount through their own collection efforts, so more of the money given by the public actually got to the cause. OTOH, the fund raiser of a much smaller charity I used to donate medical equipment to said that, as their fund raising was essentially her, a volunteer, telephoning businesses, the economics of third party collection simply didn't work.

I was under the impression that most charities working overseas sent goods, rather than funds. However, that does not mean that all the goods get where they are going. Some charities, such as Against Malaria Foundation, have very robust controls and independent auditing to ensure they do. Others may not have such close control. I would expect that emergency aid was the area where it was most difficult to exercise close control.

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes that's true and a lot get sent via the old postage system.

Remind me where the govenment gets it's money from, I donlt want the goven ment doing charity work.

I guess it depends who you;'re paying.

I've asked chuggers and door to door collectors collecting for these cause s why I should go against the will of God, and they look at me with a puzzl ed expression, so I say well if God wanted these people to have clean water then surely being all powerful he'd supply it in the form or rain but for some reason he chooses not to, so do you expect me to go against his wishes . Of course this only really works with the those of religious leanings colle cting for whatever cause.

Reply to
whisky-dave