Nuclear power at 10p unit

I keep hearing about the government being ready to agree a price of 10p per unit for new Nuclear Power stations. This is much more than I currently pay for economy 7 night supply.

If the price includes decommissioning costs, how can we be sure that any supplier will be around in 40 years time to do the work?

Reply to
Michael Chare

But much less than most people will pay for most of their units.

Economy 7 is only offered as a discount to get people to buy capacity which would otherwise be surplus and running at a loss.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

En el artículo , Michael Chare escribió:

It doesn't. The taxpayer will be landed with the cost.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Ask them tomorrow, um today now when edf and the Gov make the long awaited announcement about Hinkley Point C. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Actually it does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WTF did you expect for nuclear power? And the consumer will be paying lots more then that. It is one of the most expensive sources there is. I wonder if they'll put a levy on everyone's bills so they can see the cost of it?

Reply to
harryagain

But less than you pay for day supply

How much will you be gouging by 2023? If RPI stays at about 3%, you'll be charging us 62p per unit, at least EdF will allow the electrons onto the grid, rather than just charging their own car.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Apparently the wholesale price is about 4p. per Kw/hr., but what does it cost to generate ? 1p.? 0.4p. ?

Reply to
Windmill

And the taxpayer will still be paying additional millions for nuclear waste storage. Not to mention de-commisioning.

Reply to
harryagain

On Monday 21 October 2013 06:43 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I expect it will keep the lights on and not at the whim of that mad bastard Putin.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The fixed price is for 2023-2058 and is based on an estimate of what electricity prices will be in the future. I see it as both sides taking a punt and one side being rewarded for tying up investment for such a long time.

Seriously, though, did anyone not anticipate that prices would need to rise?

Ah, taxpayers will pay that, but 40 years? I heard "up to 80 years" on the Today programme this morning. By then we will have (collecting a handful of "in 20-50 years" predictions) cured cancer, built sustainable fusion reactors, put cities on the Moon, and provided robot butlers for everyone.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Connell

Why 2023? FIT payouts are for 20 years and started 1 April 2010, so what is the per unit cost assuming 3% RPI to 2030?

These new nukes have a design life of 40/50 years so will still be churning out power at 10p/unit in 2060/2070...

And isn't that a minimum base price? If the wholesale rate rises above it HMG stop paying and if the rate falls below it HMG pay the difference to bring it up to 10p/unit?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In your dreams - when has the government ever priced anything right?

Nuclear power pricing or Royal Mail shares they never get it right...

If they had any confidence in the new nuclear project they would be taking a financial stake in it and obtain some of the future profits rather that going off with a begging bowl to China and France.

Reply to
Martin Brown

beter if the rate goes above that hmg get the difference.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

4p give or take.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

*Still* got your head up your arse I see harry.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Less than a quarter of the 45p/kWh paid for that generated by SPV.

They don't put the FIT levy on there, why should they for nuclear?

My energy provider ask me to fill in a survey, as they are proud of their 'green' tarrif. I suggested they start a 'nuclear' option, so that those enjoying it could have cheap electricity and be able to keep their lights on when the wind has stopped blowing, while those on 'green' tariffs could shiver in the dark. They didn't respond, for some reason.

Reply to
Terry Fields

The spot price on the wholesale market is around 50p / MWh IIUC at the moment.

Reply to
John Rumm

The cost is pretty much irrelevant.

If you want low carbon base load generation, its the only game in town for us.

We have allowed successive governments to kick this problem into the long grass, while being influenced by the tree huggers for long enough that we no longer have the required capabilities and skills in this country (in spite of being a world leader originally).

Of course. They did it for "renewables"

Having said that, reality seems to be starting to bite, and I expect a certain amount of back peddling on "green" charges and taxes as a way of offsetting the extra costs. At least up to the next election anyway.

Personally I would lump energy subsidies into general taxation.

Reply to
John Rumm

Although we still need the gas to keep the windmills working....

Reply to
John Rumm