Nuclear power at 10p unit

On Monday 21 October 2013 08:29 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I want my flying car dammit!

Reply to
Tim Watts

At least get it right. £50/MWh

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Liberals can to that. It mnakes it a 'subsidy' and they saidthey would benevrsuibsidise new nuclear.

This way its simply a leagl obligation to buy energy at that price, so it doesnt pass through their grubby hands so it isnt a tax.

The Blair/Brown method of taxation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

we dont need to keep the windmills wortking. On calm days they all stop and ther lights dont evemn flicker.

They are purely for decoration.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Dave Liquorice writes

35 years, though as happens now, as they near end of life and it looks like the lights might go out, their lifetime will be extended.

Russia has extended the working life of their oldest, inherently unsafe reactors by 15 years, up to 30 years in some cases.

Mike Tomlinson

Because that's when Hinkley C is due to come online and start charging the 9.5p/unit.

About 75p

I think if another new nuke is built, the 9.5p is scheduled to drop.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's rich...

Still what's a couple of orders of magnitude between friends. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed, and levied most heavily on those least able to pay.

Reply to
John Rumm

BTW, we are assuming that the £90/MWh is not indexed to say RPI, right? Nothing in any of the Beeb News programs has said anything about that, so I'm assuming it's not.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Those who got in before April 2010

43p generation + (3p export x 50%) + 13.2% RPI = 50p today

Is it EdF that has a "blue" nuke tarrif?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd wondered too, but as you say nothing in the mainstream media mentioned it either way, but seems it's indexed to CPI, will fall from £92.5/MWh to £89.5MWh if Sizewell C gets built.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought export was 4.5p or is that only on the current tariffs of

15.44p generation?
Reply to
dennis

Interesting.

Of course the alternative would have been for the govt to borrow the £16B and build it themselves - except we don't have the expertise, probably, any longer (except perhaps for RR, which I think builds the reactors for subs). And then you've got interest payments plus you're taking the risk. Could be the MOD all over again.

harry will have carefully ignored the fact that the scheme includes decommissioning and waste management costs too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

sadly, it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Nope. You have your head up your arse. What happens to the nuclear waste? Will they take it back to France?

Reply to
harryagain

Does it? Are they prepared to manage the waste forever? I don't think so.

Reply to
harryagain

I expect they'll take it to Sellafield to be reprocessed along with all the other power station waste that is being and has been processed over the years. And they'll pay for the privilege.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The current price is 13p I think.

And you don't suppose for an instant you'll get electricty for that price?

Reply to
harryagain

According to the FT article listed above they do. And they have to start putting dosh aside when construction starts.

It won't need managing forever.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Correct, at the review after one year they raised the export tarrif, and started the degression for generation tariffs.

Reply to
Andy Burns