iPad 2

Relation has one which won't power up. Not sure if it is just the power supply - couldn't really find out if it worked on the battery for a while. Can't really be a relation as had no backups whatsoever ;-) Apple shop said it is too old to fix - they don't have spares.
If it were a PC, etc, I'd just remove the HD or SSD, stick it in a caddy, and read it with another PC. But haven't a clue about ianythings.
It's going to be sent here so I can look at it - but would be nice to hear from anyone who knows these things well.
--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Maybe post on uk.comp.sys.mac - quite a few knowledgeable folk on there, including a few who fix them for a living.
Otherwise - charge for an hour, home and power buttons held down for 15 seconds to hard reset:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201412 .
It may be the battery, but I've an ipad of a similar age and it takes/holds charge fine.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 14/12/2017 01:52, RJH wrote:

Good advice.
There are various 'tricks' to unlock a 'dead' iPad on the web- some using a PC with iTunes. The iPad can get itself into a 'muddle'. I've used several over the years when I had a batch of then in my classroom.

Yes. Should have said that has been tried and doesn't work. As has a different power lead etc.
What I'm considering - as it's scrap anyway - is opening it up and powering it off my bench top supply. Thinking it may be the power management side which has failed. Just to recover the data on it. But asking my Apple using pals, they all go on about clouds and things. I was hoping the data could be transferred to a DVD.
--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Looking for their data on the iCloud would be the first thing to try though - then they can buy a nice shiny new one for Christmas and download their stuff back onto it from the cloud. Some antique software may not work on the new model - not sure how Apple manages that.
I know that my ancient one grumbles at me that it hasn't been backed up when it is woken from slumber. It needs to be plugged in on charge and connected to the internet for an iCloud backup to run.
It is also worth trying to mount the iPad as a USB media device on a PC using the interconnect lead. It is a long shot if the power supply internals are fried but it might be preferable to fighting your way in. One other possibility is that the display backlight has failed.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Not knowing the least thing about Apple products, if you could get it recognised as a USB device by a PC, could you lift the data from it to CD, etc, which could later be transferred back to a new iPad?
There is no question of this old one ever being used again. Data recovery from it is the only important bit. I assume the owner had looked on their cloud or whatever if they have one. (As I said, Apple is totally foreign to me. Everyone who has one raves about it - but doesn't seem to know much about how they work. ;-))
--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

In many ways that is Apple's selling point - you don't need to understand how they work to use one. They just do.
By comparison Mickeysoft's offerings are bug ridden bloatware.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

So this one failing is unique, then? ;-)

Quite possibly. But the two Apple using friends I asked about this problem yesterday seemed to think the only way to backup data on an iPad was to a 'cloud' somewhere. If that is the case, I'm happy to use 'bug ridden bloatware'
--
*I yell because I care

On Friday, 15 December 2017 13:08:51 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No more than any other device would do.

But they are wrong, perhaps they don't own computers if that is the case then they are correct, they can't back-up to anywhere other than a cloud.

How do you back it up ?

Both have iPhones (never put them down) and Apple laptops.

Aren't you a university tech? And need to ask how to backup data without going online? No wonder the education system is in such a mess.
--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

On Friday, 15 December 2017 13:41:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

d.

Do they backup their phones, I doubt it, I don't usually bother haven't don e so for 3 months now. Where do andriod or blackberry or M$ users back up t heir phones ?

I know how to back up data, but I don't know how to connect an adndriod pho ne to a hard disc.
We don't back up peoples phones, and I don't know how to backup an andriod device as I haven't one. I;'m not supose to back up studetns devices to our servers either I dn;t have the passwords needed, htye donl;t even have a s ystem for backing up Macs to their servers, so I just use Time Machine and email when I need to.
How do you back up an andriod phone ?
seems you need 3rd party software that doens;t run on the Mac.

If you plug my Samsung into my PC with a USB lead it sees the memory card like any other storage device.
I have MyPhoneExplorer on phone and PC. Allows you to backup everything on the phone easily, via Wi-Fi or cable. And makes editing the contact list etc much easier using a proper keyboard.
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

On Friday, 15 December 2017 18:31:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways. You can;t take an iPad to and treat it the same as a samsung device.

Same with iDevices and Macs since 2007.

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant, since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease. So I assumed you wanted to know about them. Silly me.
--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

On Monday, 18 December 2017 14:31:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

What is this Turnip disease ?

yes silly you, why would I want to know about andriod devices I don't own one and the OP was asking about iPads and the last time I checked (last night) iPads do not run on Andriod software, so why are you talking about andriod ? iPads use IOS. I don't think the iPad2 can install ios10 let alone 11 the latest.

What you apparently have.

I am the OP, silly boy.

I know I'll regret this. Why did you ask about Android phones, then? You do remember what you've posted a day or so ago?

--
*Few women admit their age; fewer men act it.

On Monday, 18 December 2017 15:02:20 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So you don't actually know then do you.

Really so why are you asking about andriod devices when you have an iPad ?

Show me where I asked about andriod phones, as I don't remmebr asking about then as I have no reason to ask about them.

Anywhere they like.

You don’t do it that way.

Any way you like.

Nope.

You're wrong, as always.

Then they are free to backup to their laptops. Even if they arent apple laptops.

He's asking how YOU do your backups.

They're wrong. You have always been free to use itunes and back it up to your own PC or MAC etc too.

It isnt.

More fool you. Completely automatic backup to the cloud leaves anything else for dead, particularly with the level of user like the owner of that ipad 2.