iPad 2

I'm told she Googled the problem and found out that sort of thing. And tried the various fixes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Except when they don't

These days they are much of a muchness.

Reply to
Huge

It's not that complicated - iCloud is just online storage that comes 'free' when a new user creates an account. Creating an account is part of initialising a new device - you can get round it, but I'd imagine not many do. And backing up tends to happen automatically by default.

If the one you're using is broken beyond repair (and I'd take it to an Apple shop before binning it), I think the first thing to do would be for them to buy their new iPad and log on, using the credentials they used on the dead iPad. I think there'd be a pretty good chance it'd be restored from the online backup.

I doubt very much that there's a hard disk inside that can be plugged in and read without considerable work. And if they're expecting the data in a usable form that can be used on, say, a Windows computer - science fiction.

Reply to
RJH

My relation is a long term Apple user - as is her partner. I'd assume they knows this.

That has already been tried. More than one, too.

It would seem not in this case.

Never even thought it could all be used on a PC. But if the data was copied raw, may be possible to read it with another Apple machine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, OK - I'd underestimated a fair bit. Can they post to usenet - uk.comp.sys.mac has some knowledgeable people.

Maybe, but after all that kerfuffle over the FBI's recent attempt to crack the contents of a suspect's iphone, I can't see it being easy. -- Cheers, Rob

Reply to
RJH

I think she'd rather have it fixed for her, than ask on such a group.

But that was a working but locked phone. If I could get this thing to power up by perhaps direct connection of an external PS to the PCB, it might function as normal.

Just that most 'won't power up' type faults to tend to be associated with the power management on the device. On many things, that is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well unless they have disabled cloud backup it really ought to work with a new IPad. Have they or haven?t they tried?

I think you need to get a bit of clarification about what they?ve done. Generally, all that?s needed with a new iPad is to log in with you account details and then all the stuff on iCloud is available again along with reinstallation of all apps etc. It shouldn?t matter that the old iPad is dead, everything of importance should be backed up.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Samsung and the Aple iPad2 are differnt devices working in differnt ways. You can;t take an iPad to and treat it the same as a samsung device.

Same with iDevices and Macs since 2007.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You mentioned Android devices. Or rather I think that's what you meant, since you seem to have caught the Turnip disease. So I assumed you wanted to know about them. Silly me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What is this Turnip disease ?

yes silly you, why would I want to know about andriod devices I don't own one and the OP was asking about iPads and the last time I checked (last night) iPads do not run on Andriod software, so why are you talking about andriod ? iPads use IOS. I don't think the iPad2 can install ios10 let alone 11 the latest.

Reply to
whisky-dave

What you apparently have.

I am the OP, silly boy.

I know I'll regret this. Why did you ask about Android phones, then? You do remember what you've posted a day or so ago?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you don't actually know then do you.

Really so why are you asking about andriod devices when you have an iPad ?

Show me where I asked about andriod phones, as I don't remmebr asking about then as I have no reason to ask about them.

Reply to
whisky-dave