Subject Author Posted Replies

Anchor Supplies Nottingham
Anchor Supplies, military surplus dealers, at the old Cattle Market, Nottingham, on the corner of Incinerator Road, have been, um, incinerated It appears the fire was due to a firework Ripley depot...
18
18

Soldering iron bits
It's time for my 18 year old nephew to learn how to solder wires and such like. In Lidl today, I saw a 48W Parkside soldering station complete with a couple of concial bits and a very steeply angled...
51
51

DeWalt UK
Does anyone have a contact no / email for DeWalt UK? There's a "3 year guarantee" leaflet with my new toy pointing to but clicking "United Kingdom" gives an error. All other countries work. The same...
8
8

Dangerous copper clad aluminium stranded flex warning
Turkey again - haven't forgiven them for the dodgy T+E debacle (I escaped but not until some panic - I had used a lot of cable from a maker with a not dissimilar name). QA seems to be somewhat wanting...
25
25

Lidl battery charger.
From this coming Thurday, Lidl have a new model (rather than their other ones which come up from time to time) car battery charger for 40 quid. Claims to be able to start a car very quickly. But no...
16
16

Dying Kindle
My wife?s 3G Kindle Paperwhite has suddenly stopped charging. Tried different leads and chargers but the orange LED never comes on to indicate charging. We know that they work on my Kindle. Pressing...
20
20

Boarded victorian loft weight
Morning. My wife and I have moved into a victorian semi detached house. Our loft was already boarded when we moved in and I wondered what it was Ok to store up there as I know they were not built to...
22
22

Air Admittance Valve - Floplast, height - definitive answer
A while back I posted with a query on the interpretation of Floplast's AAV installation, minimum height. This was explicit for their external diagram, but ambiguous for the internal ("200mm above...

Extension pipe for expanding foam
Has anyone ever made up an extension pipe for applying expanding foam in ha rd to reach areas? I need a ~50cm reach and was thinking some PVC tubing mi ght do the job, or perhaps some plastic plumbing...
6
6

180 degree bend in 22 mm Cu
Is it possible to form a 180 dgree bend in 22 mm copper with a normal Hillmoor type pipe bender. Obviously have to reposition the pipe half way round but will the returning end foul the bender...
16
16

Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit
Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit: There are tree roots in the main drain from the house, the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point to clear the roots, and maybe insert a...
6
6

DIY: Removing fire surround
Anyone any ideas how to remove one of these preferably without destroying i t? Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either side which are sometimes sunk into the plaster with...
5
5

Boiler
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.
20
20

TV heads up: New materials ...
Maybe an antidote to "Made in Britain" ? Still slightly padded, but quite fascinating. Documentary. Designer and engineer Zoe Laughlin explores the world of material science, uncovering the...
28
28

Landrover series 3 wheel nut threads
Many years ago in 1975 and 1976 I drove on my own, from UK to Abu Dhabi, wh ere I worked for an oil company. I used series 3 Landrovers on both trips a nd, knowing there were a few patches of sand in...
7
7