Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit

Making and Lining a 6 foot deep manhole pit:

There are tree roots in the main drain from the house, the drain engineer suggested inserting a new access point to clear the roots, and maybe insert a plastic liner.

I guess the hole needs to be about 6 feet deep, and have a possible loan of a digger and driver.

But how big to make the hole, and how to line it? Blocks or concrete how thick? or newfangled plastic ?

george

Reply to
George Miles

How deep is your existing access point as I should imagine the new one will not be much deeper. I have two in my garden one near the soil stack and a second a few metres away where the underground pipe takes a 90deg bend befo re going off to join my neighbours underground pipe. Neither of the two man holes are more than 3' deep.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Reply to
George Miles

But the new access point is to go near the wall, beyond this is a field and a ditch which used to be a HaHa before a hundred years of leaves filled it , but the pipe to the septic tanks must be lower than this hence 6 feet dee p ish. Maybe 8.

Wont know until the digger smashes the semi blocked sewage pipe.

Will try to film it for the education and amusement of others!

George

ll not be much deeper. I have two in my garden one near the soil stack and a second a few metres away where the underground pipe takes a 90deg bend be fore going off to join my neighbours underground pipe. Neither of the two m an holes are more than 3' deep.

Reply to
George Miles

The easy way is to buy a sectional plastic one. They often need to be surrounded with concrete.

Eg;-

harry

it will be the depth of the pipe. Around 2' is more common.

the size of a manhole cover set. Note that not all are suitable for cars or trucks.

either nothing or with cement/sand render

single leaf of stretcher bond brickwork, so 4"

You can dig under the pipe, pour concrete in & smooth the bottom to give it a slope each side of the pipe. Once cured, break the pipe. Yes, there are other ways.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh just get bog (sic!) standard plastic sections

6 foot doesn?t need a digger for a man hole. Just a day with a delving iron.

Make it about 1 ft bigger than the manhole so there's a 6 " gap all round and bed in on pea shingle

Is it old clay pipe?

Frankly unless you realy want to play drains a good groundworker or two will do this in a day or max 2 days for |£3-500 I'd guess.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher