DIY: Removing fire surround

Anyone any ideas how to remove one of these preferably without destroying i t?

Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either side which are sometimes sunk into the plaster with filler on top to disguise th em. I have run a magnet down the edges and have not picked up the presence of either plates or screws unless they are actually brass. Whatever is hold ing it in place is pretty solid with absolutely no give anywhere.

I need to get to a pipe that is running under the bit on the floor. It will be replaced eventually so if I have to wrench it off I will do it but woul d like to replace the surround temporarily if only to cover up the hearth b ehind it until I am ready to replace it.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

That's what I'd have expected, if you're unlucky it's been gripfilled ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Tricky Dicky wrote in news:75c457b4-0722-49a0-8b1c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Mine can be lifted off. Press against it with knees and lift.I told the installer that I did not want the usual screw fixings.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Usually they have a little bracket on each side, could be brass. They have probably been covered by wall paper.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Andy I think you may be right, I have managed to run a blade the full lengt h of one side through what appears some caulking and I have not hit anythin g metallic. At the bottom there is a few mm of movement but at the top it i s fixed solid, the two uprights feel hollow in the main but some areas feel solid so I am coming to the conclusion it's been stuck on.

Oh well! Looks like I will need to dust off the pry bar, SWAMBO does not li ke it anyway I just wanted to avoid the making good for a while:(

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

"How to remove?"

2 answers suggest themselves

1/. Carefully

2/. By destroying what it is attached to.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher